1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover files in order to permanently delete

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ybor10000, Nov 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybor10000

ybor10000 Thread Starter

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!
    I deleted files using the normal right-click "delete". But I realized I had personal information in the deleted files. I used Mini Tool Power Recovery software and recovered the files to another drive. What is the procedure to copy the files to the original drive and permanently delete them using another utility such as "Eraser" or "File Shredder"?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8087 Mb
    Graphics Card: VNC Mirror Driver
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (117 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0T6HHJ
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Enabled and Updated

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I don't think that will work as you think, the copies will be stored on a different part of the drive so the original files will most likely still be there unless overwritten by chance.

Is not simply deleting the files enough ?

3. britekguy

britekguy

Deleting a file does nothing except mark the blocks used for same on disk as available for reuse. The data stays in place until something else ends up being given one or more of the blocks used by that file for reuse. This is why undelete utilities and file recovery utilities can work. They scan the disk hunting for blocks that denote the start of a file and then follow the block chain that still remains, though each of the blocks is marked as available for use by something else. If they can reach the last block, which is also denoted as such, they can reconstruct the file.

One can always use a drive wiper utility such as the one under CCleaner or BleachBit to wipe free space, and I emphasize free space, to scramble the data that still resides there such that it cannot be used to reconstruct file contents. This is something that one should always do if you intend to give a computer away to anyone else, as it ensures that any data lingering in free space gets wiped so that no one can run file recovery software to get the data back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice