1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover formatted drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by n2ts, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n2ts

n2ts Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled XP and mistakenly did a quick format of my data drive:eek: and have lost files ie:- ebooks, pdf documents,documentaries, movies (avi) that i would like to recover, I wouldn't have minded if it was my D drive as i have it backed up
    the drive in question is 750GB in three partitions 70gb C:windows partition,160gb D:program files,467gb G:data storage
    the G drive partition isn't deleted as it is listed in disk management as free space
    i use an external drive to backup my data but in this case i hadn't done one for a while
    Is there a program i can use to recover the partition ?
    from reading other peoples posts most seem to have deleted their partitions and the programs recommended are pretty expensive i don't want to pay big bucks if a free program will restore the partition
    any help would be appreciated

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    You might try one of These freeware suggestions.

I've seen This recover files from a Formatted HDD when others wouldn't .. But that was a long time ago.
    The trial DL will see if it can read the Drive .. But you have to buy it to recover the Data.

3. n2ts

n2ts Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions Noyb i downloaded a trial copy of getdataback after trying other programs that weren't suitable.
    Only having one computer i couldn't put the offending drive as suggested in another computer so i deleted the windows partition on the 750gb drive and installed windows on a separate drive, with a few programs installed ie: firefox,winrar,adobe acrobat reader,vlc player to test any recovered files
    installed getdataback and let it scan the drive.
    As a result it found all my lost data which is now copied to an external drive ready to be put back in its original partition.
    I would recommend getdataback to anyone with the same problem its easy to use even a numbskull like me!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!