1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover Formatted Hdd - Spotmau ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by exceller, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Had XP Pro, SP3 fully updated and ZA fully updated

I accidently formatted my Main harddrive when trying to solve a problem with 'lsass.exe'.

The drive was ok the night before shutting down, next day on start-up it would not boot with the message "lsass.exe not completed". Could not get into safe Mode either.

Tried Windows XP Pro CD to do a recovery, nothing. Using DOS tried to rename C:\windows\system32\config\security to security.bak. It would not do it. Tried chkdsk etc, but C: was not accessable in any direction. Also I have a partition (D:)on this drive of approx.20G, this is not seen either.

As I had a second drive 40G split equally (E:) with a partition (F:). I selected drive (E:) in the menu to format and install windows. But the installation process did the 'C' drive not the one I selected.

The main drive is a 160G drive partitioned to have 130G and 20G its now shown as 130G only, so my smaller partition is not shown or its contents.

I used Spotmau and can recover I think all the files of the 130G.

So my questions are:-

1) Using spotmau and saving the files, how can I rid of this lsass.exe problem within the files. Can I use these files back onto the original 130G drive or whats best to do with them as I have documents, photos, music, videos and emails, favourites which would like them back.

Thanks

2) How do I get access to my old (D:) partition which I can't see.
    How do I get my

2. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

OK

I've got most of the files back but some are just icons with jibberish.

Does this mean they are corrupt or saved in another format ????

Is there another better program to fully recover my files ????

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!