1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover gmail chat history

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ammuvava, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

Hello,

I want to recover my gmail chat history which was deleted 2 years ago.
    I've removed it from the trash also.Now I'm using a new HD.Is there
    any chance to recover it?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

If it was deleted 2 years ago from the email entirely there is no chance at all of recovering it. its long gone.a new hard drive wont recover it either.once something is deleted on an email account its gone forever and there are no magical programs out there to get it back.

3. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Well, there is one circumstance that might help you, though it doesn't sound like it applies.
    If you access your emails through a mail program like Outlook or Thunderbird, the copies on the google servers might still exist. However if you access them by logging straight into gmail, have indeed gone for good.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The poster is referring to "gmail chat" which I assume means Google Talk. It's not e-mail and wouldn't be in an e-mail client.

5. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

I'm logging straight to gmail and don't use any other mail programs.

6. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

Yea I mean gtalk chat history....

7. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Doublehelix, Googlemail gives you a chat feature when logged into the e-mail using your internet browser.
    https://mail.google.com/mail/help/chat.html
    It does indeed save all your chat history as though they were emails.

I don't however think it could be used if an email client were involved, and therefore assume ammuvava uses the webmail directly. That is why I too suspect it's a lost cause.

8. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

But sir whether I'm using gmail or gtalk for chatting, all the history will be automatically saved in my inbox.I lost them and now I want them back.This is my prob.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

Ive had gmail and google talk is a feature of the email. if your history was deleted 2 yrs ago its gone for good.if you save it it should be there if it wasnt saved i dont know what to tell you. after a period of time i think its deleted automatically whether saved or not and theres not much you can do about it.you might have to contact google and find out what happened.

10. valis

valis Moderator

After two years, unless you backed it up someplace, chances are extremely high it's toast.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Only Google can help you, and the chances of them responding to your request to restore data you deleted 2 years ago is slim to none.

Your Gmail data is not stored on your computer if you're accessing it via the web interface.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014849