1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover My Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by codysincoma, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. codysincoma

codysincoma Thread Starter

Hello i had a bad 2.5inch hitachi 500gb laptop hdd that went bad doesnt get any power tested it on 2 pcs. Also tested an older laptop hdd on my desktop and it powers up fine. So i decided to take my bad hard drive apart and took the actual disks out my motive was to swap them into a working 2.5 inch hdd but i defiantly failed probably needs to be the same make and model or something. i think i got the basics down but im just wondering since all i have now are the actual hdd disks from my hdd and if my data is still recoverable.
    I THINK I HAVE A BITCOIN ON THIS HDD PLEASE HELP ME LOL

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No your data is not recoverable because you took the hard drive apart. Hard disk drives are taken apart in "clean rooms" by pros. That's why recovery of data on a non-working hard drive is so expensive. You can not create a clean room in your home.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may be recoverable however it would cost more than that bitcoin is currently worth. It will have to go to a data recovery shop and the cost can run into the thousands AND there is no guarantee that you will recover the data.

For future reference, do not disassemble a hard disk unless you are just wanting to see how it is put together. Disassembling a drive with the intent of trying to recover data needs to be done in what is called a clean room.

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Bitcoin is currency. If you didn't buy one, you don't have one.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While you can purchase a bitcoin, you can also mine for one using your system. In any case, it would cost more than the current value of a bitcoin to recover the data IF it were recoverable. Current value of a bitcoin is approx $1770.

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You're right @crjdriver. I missed the part where it was mined and only stored locally and not in a wallet.

7. codysincoma

okay so ive been told i can still recover my data from the disks from a best buy guy. not really buying that clean room mumbo jumbo. when HDD stops powering probably just a faulty board im sure data on the disks can still be recovered with ease you can switch them out of one hdd board and put them in a new one. im pretty sure i could do it myself just missing a few tools and the same type of hdd board. just gonna buy a new hdd with the same model and firmware and try to swap the boards myself

8. codysincoma

and btw if i had a bitcoin on that hdd it would be in a wallet stored with a back up on the hd

9. codysincoma

also any advice on how i can switch these disks or boards to recover my data on my own is welcome. i just took my super old laptop hd apart took the disk out threw it at a wall put it back together and it still works fine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Best Buy is the VERY last place to take anything. As I said, you can try shipping the parts to a data recovery shop. Be prepared for a very large bill. Up to you. Good luck with best buy.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just for info, best buy does not do data recovery. They simply ship it to a shop and add to the bill. Again good luck.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yup. I wanted one key replaced on a laptop. Best Buy doesn't even do that. They ship it out!

13. codysincoma

Man im pretty sure i screwed up because there were two platters and i screwed around with them and mixed them up so im at a dead end right? lmao

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice