1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover My HardDrive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by edknapp, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edknapp

edknapp Thread Starter

:eek: Well I had a laptop (Dell 5000e I use every day my buddy crashed his for like the 40th time so being the nice guy that i an i told him to bring me his PC and lend him my backup laptop it just got a new fresh copy of XP Pro Corp on a new 80 gig HDD well i fixed his and when he brought mine back guess what it was down also now every time i get into XP Load it says cant complete format tried deleting partitions and reformatting but it fail using the XP Pro install disk any software that would get my new hard drive back in XP installable shape???? (Don’t Loan out your Computer what a headache:eek:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try booting with this XP Recovery Console CD Image or your XP CD. Run diskpart.exe and remove the partitions. Create a new one, press Esc to get out of diskpart, and then:

format C: /FS:NTFS

3. edknapp

edknapp Thread Starter

Cool will try that let you know how it works thanks

Ed

4. edknapp

edknapp Thread Starter

Well i ut in every thin you said it deleted the partitions made new one esc out type
    FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS AND It says Format is Formatting the volume and just sits there
    percent completed 0%

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Depending on the size of the drive, it can take 30 minutes or more. You could use the /Q switch to do a "Quick" format, but since you have had a problem with the drive, I think the full format is better since it will check the drive surface for bad spots and mark them so Windows will not use them.

If it just sits at 0% for a very long time, then we have some other problem. It may be the drive or something else.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

6. edknapp

edknapp Thread Starter

45 min and still on 2 % whats next HELP?

Ed

7. edknapp

edknapp Thread Starter

Tried Quick nothing! It sit formatting more than 6 hours
    Placed a new drive in laptop installed no problem need a software to recover
    90 day od HDD Ed!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bad drive, huh? Too bad. It's past the warranty period?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/607396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice