1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover or retrieve RAID1 data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by navrush, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. navrush

navrush Thread Starter

Hello and need help,

Running Vista on NVIDIA 8K series with SATA setup in RAID1 (MIRROR), onboard RAID controller after Windows Updates ran for a day then BSOD. RAID utility (Media Shield) says "Mirror Degraded-BIOS only recognized SATA2 Mirror. I installed new HD-BIOS sees both drives-RAID utility recongnized and I tried Rebuild, it stated "healthy"-hit F7 to finish then CTR X to exit. results of no rebuild and it tries to boot up w/o sucess.
    I set computer up with only the new HD as IDE and is running ok on the one drive.
    My MAIN concern is to get the pics off of the good RAID1 Drive, any suggestions??
    Thanks,

navrush

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm try that to see if possible if it is then gparted ,live disc etc , partition manager type softwear but you may have to run your comp as usual then connect the HDD to it whilst its running not exactly safe and i can not advise you to do it like that so await others for advise , however if you did that then once drive is recognised you have no fear of windows trying to write over it again but yopu should be able to recover your stuff

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may be possible without having to resort to a data recovery service [very expensive] Post your exact hardware specs; ie the exact mb you have installed, etc. Post a link to your parts if possible.

It does you little good now however this just one of the reasons I keep telling people raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. If you really really must have raid, then buy a real raid card like a promise or highpoint controller. If you had one of those, it would be a no brainer to fix. Onboard raid is a completely different matter.

4. navrush

navrush Thread Starter

The HDD's I installed as RAID1 (mirror) are Seagate Barracuda 500G 7200.11. I installed a Seagate Barracuda 500G 7200.12 to try the rebuild without success. I wonder if my onboard RIAD controller is bad. I am up and running without RAID on a Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB HDD. OS is Windows Vista OEM when computer was built. I am happy to not run RAID and need help in recovering the data/pics from the mirrored drive.

Thanks

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you plugged in the drive to see if you can access the data?

6. navrush

navrush Thread Starter

Yes, I can see it in the BIOS and device manager but not in my computer.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might give this a try. The raid one is on the left side of the page. FWIW this is just one of the reasons why we stress that raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. You must backup data to a third drive, NAS, network share, etc.

http://www.runtime.org/

8. navrush

navrush Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, working on this, Runtime saw some files but started getting errors about half way through the scan. I have not figured out how to use the software to view what it appears to have gotten. Yes I have learned my lesson on RAID, not what I thought it would be. The original drives were 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11's. Were these some problem drives to your knowledge?
    Thanks agian, will post after working with it some more.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Seagate had some problem drives. You can check the serial number at the seagate site if you are interested in finding out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice