1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover Outlook-blocked attachment

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Al Peabody, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Al Peabody

Al Peabody Thread Starter

I've been working on an Access Database problem. When I had some stuff to show, I sent the .mdb to a friend who REALLY knows Access so he could have a look at it and make suggestions.

He kindly looked it over, made some suggested mods and sent it back to me with a new file name as an attachment to his email. When I opened the message, Access informed me it had protected me by blocking the possibly dangerous attachment.

My buddy is out of town for a week. Do I have to wait till he returns and have him re-send it (I have added him to the Trusted Senders list and un-checked block pictures in Access, so hopefully Access will concede to let me see it this time).

In short, is there any way to see the attachment that Access blocked?

Thanx,

al

2. Rockn

Rockn

3. Al Peabody

Al Peabody Thread Starter

A couple of hours on support.microsoft.com led me to a KB article which provided a method (by editing the Registry!) to tell Outlook to let me see all attachments of a given type (file extension). That worked...but I really would rather have the program ask me before blocking any file, at least before blocking a file from somebody on by Trusted Senders list! I don't like messing wth the registry.

al

4. Rockn

Rockn

Welcome to Outlook!! This is by design and you should only have to do it once.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The security update or built in restrictions (depending on the version of Outlook you have), among other file extensions like .exe, .com, .bat, .scr, .pif, .vbs, also blocks access database files.

Also depending in the version of Outlook you have, there are different means for adding in what file attachments you want.

Except for Access database files, I've found this to drastically cut down on the number of viruses that get spread by people opening e-mail attachments.

Sorry it took you so long to find this out. You might try searching their KB articles. Pretty sure a lot of this information is already there. A quick search using "outlook access database attachments" pulled up quite a few different articles related to this.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice