1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover photos from re-formatted hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by helstonian, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helstonian

helstonian Thread Starter

Had to re-format hard drive after using a free utility to clean free space on my hard drive. After cleaning system would not boot, got message "New Technology Loader" missing. Dell techs advised me to re-format hard drive and reinstall OS (XP Pro). Did so and of course lost everything including photos of my now departed mother-in-law. I'm in big trouble if I can't get these photos back! Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

If it is worth that much to you, might be best to take it in to a pro.

In the meantime, don't use it so as to avoid overwriting the files anymore than they already are.

3. helstonian

helstonian Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. But, what about one of the various recovery utilities listed on download.com, do they work, what should I pay? If so, what one should I go for. I downloaded one, (the name eludes me) and it found a whole load of files but I had to pay to purchase the software to recover what it had found.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

You'll have to decide how much you are willing to pay. What are the photos worth to you?

The more you use your PC, the less chance there is for recovery. Downloading a program may overwrite some of the files you are trying to recover. Installing it, more files overwritten.
    Best to remove hard drive and hook it up to another PC to read via the new system.

Look into Linux. It has a forensics distro used for obtaining files. It is free, but will take some time to learn how to use it to do the job properly.
    http://penguinsleuth.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=31

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice