1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recover unallocated HD space?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twogurusindrag, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twogurusindrag

twogurusindrag Thread Starter

When I built my computer I left 10 gigs out of my HD partitioning (meaning I set up a 140 gig HD with one 130 gig partition so windows doesn't see the other 10 gigs) because i was going to use it for Gigabyte motherboard's HD backup program . As someone pointed out, it doesn't make much sense to backup a HD on itself. So now I want to recover the 10 gigs to try out the Windows 7 RC. How can I do this?

Thanks.

2. By_Rock

By_Rock

Right click on Computer and select Manage, than click on Disk Management. Right click on Unallocated Disk than choose Extend Volume or another option. That's it.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2

I would personally just keep the 10GB partition to store downloads until ready to be scanned before installing.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since the min to run windows7 is 16gig of hard disk space, I do not see what you are going to do with 10gig.

I would not be installing windows7 on anything <20-30gig.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

to crjdriver
    I believe he is wanting to merge the 130 and the 10 to have 1 bigger partition.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe so.

Are you just going to run W7 or is this going to be a dual boot? If a dual boot, then what other os?

7. twogurusindrag

twogurusindrag Thread Starter

My OS is XP and the unallocated space is actually 22.09 gigs. I was mistaken. I'm going to keep xp and install Windows 7 just to look it over. What I would like to do is recover the unallocated space to my main partition and then create a new secondary partition to install Windows 7.

8. By_Rock

By_Rock

If you want to install Windows 7 on 22.09GB unallocated space of your hard drive, boot your computer with windows 7 setup, and Windows 7 will let you to install there. The point is, don't choose upgrade when Windows 7 gonna ask you.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS is installed? Do you want to install 7 in the 10 gig partition (once it exists, though that is pretty small)?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/831246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice