1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recover USB Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Questa, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Questa

Questa Thread Starter

I am in a sticky situation.

I turned my USB drive into a bootable USB drive. The problem is, I turned the wrong one, the one with all my important files on it.

I would like to know if I could recover the files on my USB, but that isn't the biggest problem - because it's a bootable drive now, Vista does not sense it as a USB hard drive, it does not appear.

How can I get my data back?

Thanks for any help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bootable or not, Vista should see it as a normal drive. What does it see? Is the drive in Disk Management? Does it have a file system?

3. Questa

Questa Thread Starter

In the device manager, the drive is listed, but no volumes are listed under it.

In disk management, it is listed, but when I right click, I have no options in the menu except to "delete"

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Device Manager or Disk Management?

Did the drive get formatted, or did you stop the process before it finished?

What was the original file system? What file system was the bootable drive supposed to use?

5. Questa

Questa Thread Starter

I'm not sure, what I did was

I went into "Disk Management" and selected "Delete Volume". After deleting the volume from the drive, I created a new partition.

Windows can now sense the drive. I would like to know how to recover the files from the drive now.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You created a new volume? That means that you formated it. You were better off without seeing the drive in Disk management, as far as recovery goes.

Well, I guess you can still try scanning for files. but keep in mind that you may not want to use the MFT options in recovery (only NTFS) because the bootable drive was probably FAT32.

Free recovery applications:

Diskinternals Recovery Boot CD
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

7. Questa

Questa Thread Starter

Thank you - any program you particularly recommend?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Pandora and Recuva are good starts. Then maybe Drive Rescue.

GetDataBack, [email protected], and EasyRecovery for the pay ones.

I used GetDataBack for a drive that was NTFS, accidentally formatted FAT32, and got most of the files back. So when someone tells me that formatting "erases" the drive, I know differently.

9. Questa

Questa Thread Starter

All right, I will try those. Thank you for your advice.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Whichever one you use, after you have recovered a file or 2, test the recovered files and make sure they are not corrupted. If they are, there is no sense in continuing, especially since it takes so long. Just stop, start again with new settings or a new program.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/789486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice