1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovered digital camera videos open as pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bg5181, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bg5181

bg5181 Thread Starter

When I logged into my Kodak Easyshare software to download pictures I received a notice that said I should download the newest version of this program, which I proceeded to do. All seemed fine through the download until the end and it stated that there was an error and told me the steps to take, which I did. When I rebooted the computer and opened the program, my pictures were gray with a line through them. I went through live chat with Kodak 4 times, followed all of the given steps and eventually was told that my photos were gone. I purchased two recovery programs, get data back and stellar, I have been able to retrieve my pictures but my video's will not run, they actually show up as pictures with no audio or video. Is there a way to change these stills back to video? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a HP Pavillion
    Windows XP
    SP3
    Kodak Easyshare software

Thanks, Brenda

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG.
    Do you have a card reader on your computer? You can just view and copy pictures and movies from the card directly to your computer in Explorer. The card should show up as a drive. Your videos should still be on the card unless the Kodak program deleted them automatically, but you would remember that, because you have to let the program from Kodak know.
    I never use my Kodak software, it gave me too many problems.
    It is much easier to have a card reader and use Windows Explorer.

3. bg5181

bg5181 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. The HP Pavillion does have a built in memory card reader but... unfortunately, I had deleted the video and other pictures once they were downloaded and put on a cd. For some reason, the computer does not recognize or open this cd. I have examined it for scratches etc and cleaned it but it still won't read. When I recovered the video's and pics the video's would show up as a group of pictures instead of a moving audible video. The video's that do work have a .MOV extension while the ones that I recovered have a .jpg extension. Can they be converted back to .MOV and will this make them work?

Thanks so much for your help!

4. bp936

bp936

yes, in preview it would show as small jpg's, what program are you using to play them?
    Do you have Quicktime? Kodak uses a different way to run movies than other cameras.
    read here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime

5. bg5181

bg5181 Thread Starter

Right now they open under Quick Time player but initially they were listed under Kodak Easy Share. They would not open at all with Kodak so I changed them to Quick Time. I do get the Quick time screen with the bar at the bottom but when you hit play, the bar goes straight to the end and nothing plays. I have also tried to run them with HP photoshop and Windows Media.

Brenda

6. antimoth

antimoth

Perhaps the programs you used for recovery weren't meant for video? Did you try Recuva? It's not the most powerful one Ive seen, but is simple to use and has options to search for both pictures or video.

I suggest you try it on the memory card, which should be unaffected by Kodak's shenanigans.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!