1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovered JPEG's with messed up dimensions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Sarusama, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarusama

Sarusama Thread Starter

A lot of digital camera pictures accidentally got deleted when I merged two partitions, but luckily I managed to recover most, if not all, of them. The problem is that a all of them have wrong dimensions now. Most of them have been shrunk to 160 x 120 and some of them to 1600 x 1200 pixels instead of the original 2048 x 1536. What's weird, however, and also what gives me hope of restoring them, is that they have the same size, that is file size, as a normal sized picture.

My theory is that the file still contains the original data and some parameters somewhere got messed up by the recovery. I don't really know anything about how JPEG's, which is the format of the images, work, but I'm hoping there is someway to tell the files that they're really a lot bigger than they think.

Is this possible and, if it is, how can you do it?

All help much appreciated.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I can't imaging what would have resized the photos when merging partitions.
    I would think that you'd either have the originals or nothing at all.

What Photo Viewing software (or camera software) are you using ??
    Did the file sizes also get reduced ??

3. hewee

hewee

160 x 120 sounds like you recoved the thumbnails and not the full image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice