1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering a HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlMujtahid, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

Is there anyway to recover a HDD?

I am not usre what happened to it? I have to HDD in a PC. I reformatted one of them, the one with the OS but the other with the data I did nothing to it. After I reinstalled the OS, I now get a message saying that the other drive is not formatted. I cannot access it.

Is it done? Is all the info on it gone? Is there anything I can do to revive that dive without formatting?

Please help!!!

2. newcs_jr

newcs_jr

i am pretty much having the same type problem, read the replies i got off of the post " hard drive problem" maybe it can help you, didnt me but my situation is a little different. hope this helps

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What happens when you try to access the other drive in DOS?

4. AlMujtahid

Havent treid that yet, accessing the drive in DOS. How do I go about doing that?

5. PCMan78

PCMan78

Insert your Startup disk and when you get to an A prompt, type in your drive letter with : after it, then hit enter and it should change to the appropiate drive letter. Then type in dir to see if you can locate any info on the particular drive.

What type of OS are you running now and then? Are they different? Make sure that the jumper settings are correct on each drive also.

6. AlMujtahid

before I was running WinXP. The two drives were working fine. I didnt touch the jumpers or anything. I reformatted the drive, C, that was running the OS(WinXP) on it. Now I have it triple booting, Win98/Win2k/WinXP. Now the other drive is MIA. I will try accessing it in DOS.

Does it matter what setup disk I put in?

7. AlMujtahid

Ok, I treid to access the drive in DOS. It switched to the drive with no problems but when I typed dir, it didnt work. Said bad media ...

8. darkjedi

darkjedi

the data on the 2nd hardrive is it on fat or ntfs file system, because If you tried to acces the drive using windows 98 you won't be able to see any ntfs partitions

9. AlMujtahid

it was an NTFS volume. But I cannot access in neither Win2k or WinXP. I am triple booting. I dont know if that will make a difference. I dont imagine it should.

10. darkjedi

darkjedi

how old is the second hd , it looks that the drive failed . was the data on it important.

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I know this is going to sound odd but it's a little trick that sometimes works in situations like this:

Remove the drive and put it in your freezer for around 3 hours. Then reinstall it and IMMEDIATELY try to access it. 9 out of 10 times you can. Don't ask me how it works :p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice