Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovering an Explorer Crash?

722 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Elvandil 
#1 ·
Hello,

Sometimes when I am either working with my computer, or I leave it for an extended period of time, I notice that explorer.exe has crashed. The result of this is that it momentarily ceases and then reloads.

My questions is if I can start all the processes that load with the computer following an explorer crash? For example, a handy Volume tool that opens up on Windows startup as an accessory for my sound card disapears when explorer crashes and does not load up again. This happens for a few other processes as well.

Is there a way to "reload" the processes without actually restarting the computer? All the core apps are still running after an explorer crash, yes, but many of the taskbar accessories cease.

Thanks, in advance, for your kind help,
James Crosson

#2 ·
Generally, an explorer crash should not have any effect on the other processes you mention. If you look in Task Manager, you should see those processes still running---the only thing missing is the tray icon.

The only way to recover the tray icon is to stop and restart the process. But an axplorer crash shouldn't do this unless you have not installed SP1 or SP2. This was a problem that, for the most part, predated SP1. Do you have a service pack installed?

In any case, an explorer crash won't cause any unconnected apps to crash, too.

-------------------

But, to answer your question, install Startup Control Panel. It will put a Startup applet in your Control Panel. Not only does it allow you to control startups, but you can right-click any startup app and start it at any time.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.