1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering AOL Lost Filing Cabinet AOL 5.0

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Narnie, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Hi, all. I have AOl 5.0, and Windows 98 SE. My AOl software had to be reinstalled a few weeks ago, and when I did so, my filing cabinet and bookmarks were gone. I did not delete anything from my computer, and chose the selection to add my existing account to this computer. Does anyone know how to recover this information? This is very distressing for me, as it is years of information lost. And yes, I did call AOl Tech support, not much help there as of yet, although I will call them again next week, when I have more time if no one here can help me. Thank you to anyone who can help with this problem.

2. bob054

bob054

Hi. Maybe this will work. Can you find your old AOL 5.0 folder in your programs on c-disk? hopefully you will have your old instalation there. If you do, find a folder called "organize". What you need to do is get that folder and all its files to your new installation. Either drag it, export it, or send it by which ever choices your comp. gives. It just needs to end up in your new aol folder. Once there, put a copy in your documents for safe keeping, s
    check your Favs and email addys, if not there, log off and then back on. Hope that helps. Also, try search on your computer for either aol or "organize". Don't worry if you open it and nothing can be translated. It needs to go in your new folder.
    If you dont have that folder visable, you may need to find it somwheres in the registry but I don't know much about it.
    Good luck
    Bob

3. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. That sounds similar to what the person from AOL was having me do, but he was not quite sure where the filing cabinet was, and was used to working with a newer version of AOl. And what he had me do did not recover my filing cabinet and bookmarks. Anyone else have any other thoughts? Thank you.

4. bob054

bob054

So Narnie, I guess you tried the search etc....The AOL tech was looking for things that are found in the "cache" folder located in the "Organize" folder I suggested. Here's one more try... After you re-installed, did you lose your old password for AOL. I don't mean your screen name or email, but password. If they gave you a new password, that means you have a completly new instalation and you've lost your stuff. If not AOL can find your files. AOL basically owns them. Call them and don't stop till ya get them to help find them, and you don't have to be on line to do it, so hang up and wait for instructions in your email. Thats their way of saying ba-bye.. I'm gonna search my registry to find if theres something to merge, but I have 9.0, don't know the codes to make it work. I just might be able to find the location.
    Sorry, the same happened to me, and I lost all my wifes on line courses, about 3 thousand dollars worth and all the time put in to it. We assumed it was safe as did the tech who said, "Just re-install and pick exixting account". Suddenly I had no password to get in and all was gone.
    Bobby

5. bob054

bob054

Me again. Registry had 594 entries. Sorry I can't decipher. I went to Aol computer help (windows) found 2 different fixes. One was exactly what I gave you. Find that organize folder. But the other said Aol did not keep your addys "on line" tilll 6.0, which means my second fix won't work. Ya gotta find it in your system. Really sorry, but maybe someone here can tell you how to put it together using the registry.
    Bobby

6. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Thanks for your messages, sorry to hear about the information you lost. That sounds very bad, and much worse than my situation, in actuality. The AOL tech did not know where to locate the filing cabinet and bookmarks on my version of AOL 5.0. I am very distressed at the thought of losing years of contact information. When I re-installed the AOL software, I did not need a new password, it was the same password I have been using. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

7. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

The AOL person is going to try to assist me again at the end of the week. I was hoping someone would have some knowledge or experience on the subject, so I could make suggestions if what he has me do doesn't work. Anyone? Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice