1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering data from a scratched DVD-R

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Ashground, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashground

Ashground Thread Starter

I have a scratched DVD-R that I need, NEED, to recover as much as I can from. Last night, it gave me a couple read errors (after copying around 350mb of the 2gb of files), so I decided I'd try again today when I had a little more time to spare. Now, when I try to open the DVD in Vista, it's showing that there are no files on the DVD, just 2.2gb of free space left. If I try navigating to it from the prompt, I get "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any tools I can use to recover information from the session Vista can't see? I've already cleaned the DVD-R as much (and as safely) as possible.

2. stantley

stantley

One of the best CD/DVD recovery programs is IsoBuster and the free version should do what you need.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

CDCheck also has a free version. Infinadyne Diagnostic has always worked the best for me, even when Windows can't see any disk in the drive at all.

Unstoppable Copier will copy as much readable data as it can without stopping on errors.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the scratches are not too deep (gouges), you could try using a some car polish or even toothpaste to buff out the scratches. There are also commercial products (Disc Doctor comes to mind) that may also do the job.

5. Ashground

Ashground Thread Starter

I've already tried the toothpaste trick -- no difference.

IsoBuster seems to be making some progress dumping the DVD -- after running it for an hour, it's sitting at 6% (ha, just switched to 7%!). CDCheck completely failed to read it.

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If the top of the dvd is scratched you are beat.
    the bottom can be fixed it just takes more time based on how bad it is.
    be sure whatever cleaner you are using as it be toothpaste or what have you is cleaned for the disk as as this will interfere with the beam going through to the top of the disk and bouncing back.
    When the disk is scratched on the bottom what happens is when the beam travel through it the beam is misdirected and shot sideways,
    Much like the effect when looking in water at objects or though a broken winshield.

The trick here is to not damage the top of the disk while getting the bottom smoothed back again

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

In desperation, I once used a light machine oil, rubbed it on the CD, and then wiped it as clean as I could. The slight film seemed to change the refractive index enough that I got more data from the CD (got the idea from using oil-immersion microscopes).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice