Recovering data from old Hard Disk Drives

chrisnicholls

Hello, I have two older hard disk drives:
  • Sarotech - Pocket Hard Disk Drive Cutie! Model No = FHD-253
  • WD Elements - WDBAAU0025HBK-01
Not entirely sure why they aren't working, they just don't appear on my laptop when i plug them in. Not sure if heads are stuck or just cant find the correct drivers.

Im tempted to purchase a USB to SATA Adapter and take the hard disk drives apart, repair the head if it's stuck and directly connect to my laptop via the adapter.

Would this work, or would the fact they are old drives mean the drivers would still not appear?

thank you
Chris

plodr

Liz
take the hard disk drives apart,
Only companies that have special "clean rooms" can do that. You do that and you can toss the drives in the trash because they are then worthless and you'd be unable to recover anything.

Is this one WDBAAU0025HBK-01 a 2.5 TB hard drive? I don't own any that large because I'm fairly certain my Windows 7 computers won't be able to see them.

For this Sarotech - Pocket Hard Disk Drive Cutie!
I only see drivers for 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Chances are you'd be able to have it recognized on an old Windows computer if you loaded the correct driver.
Manual here: https://fccid.io/PBCFHD-256/Users-Manual/User-Manual-1-of-2-346353

chrisnicholls

Thank you for your reply.

I wouldn't want to keep the hard drives, just to get the content from them and then bin them.

It is a 2.5 TB hard drive, in a previous life it was used to back up a server. Would a laptop not access them?

Would it have to be an older windows device for the Sarotech?

thank you

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you using a power supply with the WD drive ? It won't work without one.

chrisnicholls

Are you using a power supply with the WD drive ? It won't work without one.
Thank you for your reply, i haven't got one, so will need to purchase a replacement. As the cost of a charger is nearly the same as the adapter I wondered if better to go down the route of taking it apart as if the charger doesnt fix the issue then i would have to use the adapter anyway?

Oddba11

Jim
@chris - not all drives used in external cases use standard connectors. I believe 2.5" drives are popular for this, but I don't recall specifics and I've not had any 2.5" enclosures apart. In theory, yes, you could remove the drive and connect it via other means. Someone else may be able to confirm the drive type used and whether or not this is possible.

@Liz - drive size isn't an issue for Win7. My two 2.5" externals are both 4TB. I also have numerous internal drives up to 12TB also running in media server (also Win7)

plodr

Liz
Interesting. I have an internet friend who bought a WD portable 3TB drive that was not seen by his Win 7 computer so he returned it and got a 2TB in its place.
I was too afraid to chance anything over 2TB. ( I have seven portable external drives with my images on them. I'm now clearing out older images so I suspect the drives will be enough to continue to store our 4 Win 7 computers' images.)

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To use their full capacity hard drives larger than 2TB have to be set up with the GPT partitioning scheme, if they use MBR instead that limits the maximum usable size to 2TB regardless of their 'true' capacity.

Of course I don't know if that applies to your friend's issue Liz.

I have a 3TB external drive, it's GPT and the whole 3TB is available in Windows 7.

plodr

Liz
Ah, we never change the partitioning scheme so that's why he probably couldn't see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online