1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering data off dead hardrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Beekmonster, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beekmonster

Beekmonster Thread Starter

If a computer hard drive makes a loud clicking noise and computer won't boot up, I'm assuming the drive is shot. If it is shot, is it possible to recover data from it or is it a done deal?

2. mykl_c

mykl_c

Loud clicking noise is usually the read/write heads hitting the stop bar - not a good sign. You might be able to install another hard disk as master, set the current one to slave and MAYBE retrieve your data. You might try finding another drive IDENTICAL to the dead one and swap the controller boards. You could check for a data recovery service (where they take the platters out in a clean room and move them into another drive). It all depends how much the data is worth to you. Good luck!

3. Beekmonster

Beekmonster Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I could try the other hard disk as master but I really doubt it could it will do much by the sound it makes. When you say data recovery service, who would do this. Computer repair shop? any sugestions?

4. mykl_c

mykl_c

Sent pm, I'm in Australia, your profile has no location... Try www.dogpile.com and search -data recovery hard- There were quite a few hits. This is not a cheap solution, that's why I'd suggest the new master/slave setup (low chance, but better than none).

5. mykl_c

mykl_c

Simple check - boot from floppy and see if you can read drive (another low chance but worth a look).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!