1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering Deleted Data on SanDisk Card - Data Recovery?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dino7, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Dear Friends.
    Hope this finds you well!
    I'm not certain this is in the best forum, but it is a Windows 7 computer
    I was trying to do another sets of DVD's from existing MP4 files from a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card. These would then be used with DVD Flick and ImgBurn to make the DVD's. The first(2) DVD's worked well but somehow a few of the files were not copied entirely. So, I was redoing these again to make certain I had ALL the files for the next (2) DVD's.
    These are files my older brother entrusted to me for me to convert them to a DVD format. They are files of his daughters nearly entire basketball season [frames] of about 70 files and were sentimental to him and his daughter.
    I feel personally responsible to correct this if it is at all possible!? It could get ugly :(
    It was an honest error on my part as I mistakenly deleted what was titled Video 100 on the SanDisk which contained all these MP4 files. I didn't realize I was removing them from the SanDisk. I'm hoping there is a free date recovery app I could use for this one application so that an expensive license would not be required!?
    Thank You in advance for your care, compassion and cooperation. I'm stuck in the mud...
    Very Truly Yours,
    Raphael

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3983 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1767 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238372 MB, Free - 210269 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U692R
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try the free Recuva: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Also, don't use the files directly from the SD card, copy the files to your computer and do your video editing/creating from the copy.

3. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Thank You!
    Best way to copy files to computer?
    What do you know about RescuePRO Deluxe by LC Technologies ? If I run a trial version to see if can recover all these files does that mean Recuva wouldn't work if I ran RescuePRO Deluxe first?
    SanDisk suggested them but it is not a free app..
    Raphael

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Right, Copy and Paste.

It doesn't matter if you have another recovery program installed, has zero effect on using another one. As long as you don't write/save/modify any files on the SD card then there is hope of recovery some if not all the data.

5. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Okay! does the card itself need to be inserted before starting any scanning?
    Should I Tick All Files?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want to recover files from the SD card, then absolutely it must be inserted before you scan it.

You can check the box for all files.

7. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

Start Praying!!!
    What about enable Deep Scan?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it finds the files then be sure to restore them to your hard drive and NOT the SD card otherwise you will overwrite the deleted files and lose the ability to recover them.

9. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

So, I should do a Deep scan takes over an hour about!?
    Another dummie question. How do i restore them to the hard drive? I assume at that time I would remove the card or when?
    As you can see most have a red circle beside them. Thats not as good sign?
    I should of mentioned this as it might make a difference. I copy and pasted the files and sent them to my desktop (as shortcuts) and deleted them. After that though they still were accessible from the Card. Deleting the files from the desktop did not remove them from the card. Can you restore those deleted shortcuts from the Recycle bin?
    tx

Recuva basic scan.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only if the quick scan doesn't find the files you need to recover.

Red means they are overwritten and not likely recoverable without massive corruption, orange is some parts overwritten, green is fully intact.

11. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

I copy and pasted the files and sent them to my desktop (as shortcuts) and deleted them. After that though they still were accessible from the Card. Deleting the files from the desktop did not remove them from the card. Can you restore those deleted shortcuts from the Recycle bin?

Should I try and recover the red ones or not?

What about setting the computer back to the very last restore point? There was only one Important update that would be affected done on 1/25/2017.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did the recovery not find the files you need? The screenshot shows it found over 26 thousand files.

Shortcuts are just pointers to the files, they are not the actual files and there's no point in recovering them.

In the future don't use send to the desktop or create shortcuts, copy and paste the files to make a copy of them. Copy and Paste and Send to Desktop are completely different things.

Restore Points do not include data files, only system files and they wouldn't cover things on external media. There is something called Previous Versions that maintains copies of data files, you right click on the folder on your computer, ie. the Desktop folder, and choose Previous Versions if the option exists. Previous Version also does not work on external media like SD cards.

Does your brother not have a copy of these files? I can't stress making backups and having multiple copies data enough these days.

13. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

I don't dare even tell him about this innocent mistake. I doubt he has any of these files anywhere else!
    The Video and the Samsung folder were the two places the files were. The Video folder was used to make the first set of DVD's and they were okay except a few files/mp4's were missing so he asked me to redo them. In that process I left the Card in the computer and deleted it the Video folder. Now in the Samsung folder there are about 12 files there should be about 70.
    Its a sad day!:cry:

Attached Files:

14. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

If you go back to this post that will give you a better idea about the amount of files and what I was trying to do. https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-multiple-video-files-to-multiple-dvds.1178010/

I did locate these files. There are 200 any of them with the extension VOB or IFO will open and play the video of basketball.

I'm not sure if all 70 or more are there? I assume these may have been from the DVDFlick or IMGBurn programs I ran to make the first two DVD's which were about 9.4 GB's.

What do you make of this and what might I be able to do with them?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Best, Ralph

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  15. dino7

dino7 Thread Starter

This was the 69 original files

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice