Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovering Deleted Files Over A Network

826 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
Hello

I am having this problem where i delete files on a server from a workstation computer. I accidently deleted a folder today and i am unable to recover it. I go onto the server itself and it doesn't have it in its Recycle Bin.....

In today's cas, the loss of data was very minor, only 4 files, but i need the ability to recover them or to avoid this.. because it has happened before

Please help me

#4 ·
If you want any hope of recovery any file on the server, you need to shut down the server immediately. Pull the drive(s) and install them on another computer which can read the drives with data recovery software. I'm leaving out a lot of details here as things get pretty complicated by doing this process. But the long and short of it is, if the server is still active with write activity on the data volume, the chances you can recover much of anything goes down steadily the longer the server is up.

Backups are the more practical method of being able to recover from any data loses but you're only protected up to the most recent backup which may not have been done on the particular file you are working on.

There are other more expensive methods of assuring more real time data protection but it involves a SAN which have more advanced features like snap shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.