1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering Detectable Files Despite Cyclic Redundancy Check (RAW Drive)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SeaTan, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeaTan

SeaTan Thread Starter

I'm one of those people who always knew I should be backing up my data, but never got myself to do it! However I have now finally started to do so and am going through each of my hard drives, one by one. Unfortunately it seems that I didn't get to one of them fast enough and it appears to have failed.

The good thing is that, using Recuva, I can see many of my files, despite a file directory that seems to have become somewhat corrupted. The bad part is that when I try recovering the files, I am faced with a cyclic redundancy check. The file is a RAW one and thus I can't use the CHKDSK /R or /F solution.

I've also tried switching to a 3rd party enclosure, but that hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas on how I can recover my data?

2. vembutech

vembutech Banned

May be try accessing the drive using Linux Live CD/USB and see if you're able to recover your files, hopefully it will overcome crc error and you will be able to get your data.

Hope this helps.

3. SeaTan

SeaTan Thread Starter

Are there any particular Linux Live USBs that you would recommend?

4. trogdo

trogdo

Parted Magic is awesome and well worth $9, Bitdefender Rescue is good and free, Puppy Linux is good on lower spec machines.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!