1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering file because of messed up associations or whatever.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by henthorn, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

My old hard drive with the old operating system and all my data was named J during a repair installation. I have since added a new hard drive and made the old drive the slave. I have installed double boot with XP and Linux on the new drive and the new Xp partition is named C and the old drive is named F. Is there a way I can change the name of the slave drive F on the new disk to J so I can access my data? Maybe there is a better way to get access to the data

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

Thanks, That applies to single folders or files. That would take a long time for all the folders and in the extra information the link referred to it seems to apply to XP Pro. I have XP home, should have stated that, I guess. I need a way to access all the data on the old drive. I'm pretty ignorant about this , so cut me some slack.

4. Frank4d

It also applies to whole drives. If you can see the drive in My Computer, right click it and follow the procedure except substitute "drive" for the word "folder".

5. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

When I do that I am doing it from the new boot drive which sees the drive as F not J. I need to get control of the old drive named J. When I click on properties for the F drive I don't get any security tab, just General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing and Quota.

6. Frank4d

7. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

As usual MS instructions are faulty. If I I follow the instruction to "Set, view, change or remove file and folder permissions" and then click on the article 307870, it says that you can not change the simple files sharing in XP home, even though in other places it gives the impression that you can. The usual MS baloney.

8. Frank4d

You can only set file permissions on drives that are NTFS formatted. Is yours NFTS or FAT32? Roght clicking the drive in My Computer then Properties will show the format type.

If it is FAT32 you can convert to NTFS. You would open a command window (Start, Run, cmd). To convert your C: drive type: convert C: /FS:NTFS

Things almost never go wrong (but sometimes do) so I would suggest a backup first.

9. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

They are all formatted to ntfs.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can only set NTFS permission on Windows XP Home in Safe Mode.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice