1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering files deleted from Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SteveSeven, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveSeven

SteveSeven Thread Starter

I goofed and deleted some picture and Word files from one of my folders on a backup drive. It's nothing urgent but just the same would like to have them back.

I deleted the files, sent them to the Recycle Bin, and then emptied the Recycle Bin.

Is there a way, either via Win XP or some other utitlity program, to recover them?

Thanks!

2. blumoon

blumoon

I have just done exactly the same thing-I am trying to use this freeware program wondering if anyone else has experience with this one or perhaps they may know of something better. Not sure if I am too late-data may already have been overwritten-I just noticed them missing yesterday-trying to figure this out too. I don't have much space on my hard drive, but I do have an external drive. Unfortunately the files I may have accidently deleted were probably my most important documents-years of work.:(

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

5. blumoon

blumoon

Well they have been found-I think PCI did the trick last night-didn't have time to check closely at the time, as we had a huge electrical storm and had to shut down the computer. (y) What a relief! Thanks everyone for your replies.Steve Seven-I would give PCI a try if I were you. (y)

6. SteveSeven

I've used a couple of different programs, PCI being one of them. I've been able to recover files but can't view them. If it's a picture none of my programs will display it. If it's a Word or Excel file MS Office won't open it in any format othern than ASCII (I think that's what it is).

PCI listed the files as being in good condition. I haven't written anything to the drive since I deleted the files so I didn't think there would be any problem once they were recovered.

Any suggestions?

7. blumoon

blumoon

Wonder if you can set the files to "open with". Somebody might know ... wonder if checking properties for each file by right clicking would offer any options. I am not sure how I did it.

8. SteveSeven

I tried using the "Open With" function but still no luck.

I'm lost right now as to what to try. Thoughts from the crowd?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The files are corrupted. They may have been retrieved with wrong addresses. Your only option is to try a different program or try different settings in the one you are using. Try a recovered file or two right at the beginning of using one of these to see if it works and if not, try another approach instead of recovering all the files in a corrupted state.

Here's another to try:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/softperfect-file-recovery/spfilerecovery.html

There are also free trials of shareware that you can try. If one seems to work, you can consider buying it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!