1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering Files from a CD-RW

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AhrenBa, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I recently deleted a Document from my CD-RW, and am wondering if there is anyway to recover it? I haven't re-written any data on the disk after the deletion. Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes it should still be there. CD-RW are notoriously unreliable but hopefully you should get the file back

Isobuster is shareware and should do it.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/319432

3. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ok, cool, thank you for the help. I have downloaded the program, what should I do next? Thank you.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Install the program, run the program....

5. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Yes, I know, but when I open the program, put in the cd-rw, all it says is "blank cd-rw" and gives me no options.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I don't think you can recover data from a CD-RW once you have overwritten it to be a blank cd.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you "deleted a document" on the CD, then I assume you must have been using a "packet writing" type of software such as DirectCD or InCD.

Otherwise you would not have been able to do so. CD-RW does not natively mean Read-Write, it means Re-Writeable. That means you can write to it but cannot delete a file (only erase the entire disk) in normal use.

Packet writing changes that, but also writes in a non-standard format to do so. That makes the use of CD-RW in that manner very flakey, not something I would consider using if the data was valuable.

However Isobuster is supposed to read from a "packet written" CD as well.

Perhaps start from the beginning and explain exactly how this CD was created, and with what software?

Then explain how the file was "deleted", using what software.

Windows version would be useful as well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice