1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering Files from an old laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Inneed227, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inneed227

Inneed227 Thread Starter

This is a bit of a long story, but bare with me.

So I bought an old refurbished Dell Latitude [w/ xp] maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It was so old it couldn't even connect to Wifi. But at the time it fulfilled my computer needs. I was in college and broke, so w/ an ethernet cable it sufficed. I pretty much used that laptop daily until about 2012, when it completely died on me. When it was done, the screen was cracked and barely hanging on to the base, screws were missing. Physically it looked a mess. But that wasn't the issue.

The initial issue happened long before the computer actually died. And it was a Power issue. The laptop came with a charger, and after using it for over a year, due to a shortage in the cord , it overheated. So I bought a new charger, off of ebay, so I thought. But it was actually an adapter, which I needed to keep connected at all times to keep the computer running. Still this wasn't that big of an issue to me then. And so I continued to use the laptop for years, with these minor power cliches. I had become attached and comfortable with even the downsides of this machine.

Then one day it just shut off, and wouldn't come back on. There seemed to be no issues with the adapter but the computer still didn't come on. So I went to google and did some research. I came to the conclusion that the battery must be completely burned out. So I went back to ebay, and bought a replacement battery. Once I replaced the battery, the boot screen appeared, and all was back to normal. For all of 3 hours. Despite the new battery and adapter connected, the computer was still slowly dying.

So at this point I began to panic, and I went into research overdrive. And after about an hour I discovered that this particular brand and model now needed a BIOs file update. I'm a complete novice w/ computers, so I had no idea what this was. But apparently the outdated file was the cause of my power issues. So I attempted to download the update. The problem was, my battery only had about 20 minutes of life left. So I was unable to complete the download. By this time, I could afford a new computer, so I just took it as a loss.

Long story short, that laptop had about 5 years of files saved on its drives. Thousands of music files, hundreds of pictures, and I'm a writer, so I left dozens of pages of notes and drafts. Oddly or not, I only backed up the music.

So now my question is: how if at all possible, can I retrieve those remaining files from that computer???

*Remember the computer is completely dead, outdated, and it's been years since I even tried to access it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Insert the hard drive into a USB enclosure (example).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!