1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovering from HD crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lordnv, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lordnv

lordnv Thread Starter

I have a packardbell 266 P2 running on WINME 5.1GBHD, just added 256MBRAM. last month i purchased and installed a cdrw and 16Xdvdrom drive. All worked well, untill i decided to turnoff items in start up reg. I failed to restart and went to play my a dvd , and then decieded to shut down. System froze-locked up. pulled plug, restarted to only find i no longer had a harddrive. Puchased a western same size (ebay), installed and now attempted to reinstall hardware. Now notice system sucking up resorces (why i pruchsed ram) now recieving error when installing cdrw (Disk Write error,positioning error primary ide controller (dual fifo), IRQ holder for PCI steering PCI\IRQ HOLDER\60-Error code 22) It's just not running right. What else did i screw up?
    Now when i install a program i will get the blue screen error "DISK WRITING ERROR unable to writhe to disk in drive C data or file may be lost press any key to continue". Also my resorse meter drops from 174 to 40mb. Is there any hope for this? Further more, when i install the DVD player; I have no cdrom drive or dvd visible in the control panel. (#$%^&*!!!) HELP!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    sounds like the new drive you bought is defective, could also be the ide cable or the power supply. since it's a fresh install, try downloading WD hardrive diagnostics and se if can fix the problem. Try doing a low level format on the hardrive(it may give you this option in the diagnostics software but not sure) then repartation the drive, format it and reinstall windows and then drivers. make sure to use the correct drivers.

3. lordnv

lordnv Thread Starter

Hello T6,

I got a passing score on WesternDigitals diagnostics. I had replaced the EIDE Cable as well. I spent pretty much all day trying to figure this one out with no luck. I am still open to trying whatever works.
    You mentioned
    "Try doing a low level format on the hardrive
    then repartation the drive, format it and reinstall windows and then drivers. make sure to use the correct drivers."
    Please explain if possible how to execute.
    Thanks for suggestions.

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

When you type in run Msconfig and shut down some program, what were they? Just have it go back to normal load up.

Other then you maybe have corrupted Drivers which you can right click on My Computer and to properties and click on device Manager, see if you have any conflicks going on in there.

If I have a conflick I remove all conflicks and reboot so all the drivers will load up again and build a new data base.

Just some ideas for you to try.

J

5. Hairy

Hairy

Error code 22 is nothing...there is nothing wrong there

try booting into safe mode and removing al the cdrom devices, then restart

hold "control" key, or tap F8 key while restarting

6. lordnv

lordnv Thread Starter

Apart from the enormous amount of resources being used just at idle, the system is somewhat stable. When I attempt to install software, I get the blue screen "writing to disk error". In addition, when I attempt to install the dvd on the EIDE with the cdrw, I loose both the cdrw and the dvd. None of them are visible or accessible in the control panel (?).

7. Hairy

Hairy

"writing to disk error" ...is that exactly what it says - even when you click on details?

what do you have running always?
    go here:
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    run the StartupList.exe program
    copy/paste the results to a reply

are you positive the DVD is jumpered proper?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice