1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovering harddrive data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by havok6669, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. havok6669

havok6669 Thread Starter

i am using windows 7 operating system and i have an external harddrive that used to be my primary. when attempting to access it through my external hd enclosure it mostly asks me to format it and shows the drive under "my computer" as just a drive with no current/maximum drive capacity and trying to open the drive results in a cyclic redundancy check error. ocassionally when plugging in the drive or changing its drive letter from drive management i get the "scan and fix or continue without scanning" promp and when i choose continue without scanning it allows me to access the drives contents. i have finally freed up enough space on my primary harddrive to backup the drives data but cannot seem to get the scan and fix prompt to show up again :[ is there any way to force it to ask to scan and fix instead of asking to format so i can recover the files? all the information i can seem to find online about it only tells me how to disable the autoplay so it no longer asks ... but i want it to ask so i can remove the data then reformat the drive fully. is there any way you can help?

2. Sponsor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If your computer is a desktop, you can install the drive internally as a secondary drive to see if you can access it that way.

4. havok6669

havok6669 Thread Starter

it is a desktop and well i have tried to mount it previously but my primary harddrive is ide and this hd is sata and for some reason my computer doesnt like when i try and mix and match the types of drives. my external hd bay has connections for both as well.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If all you need is your data ... You might try running one of These Data Recovery tools on the drive in the external ... Recuva is very popular

6. havok6669

havok6669 Thread Starter

unfortunately yes i have tried recuva and extracting all the data to my primary harddrive but much of what i know for a fact is still there and working was not able to be recovered :/ the last time i got into the harddrive was 2 days ago. seems many of the files that were consistent at that time were unable to be restored through recuva and also it didnt exactly put them in the right directories even though i told it to restore file structure. if i can just get my computer to give me the scan and fix or continue without scanning prompt one more time i can backup all the data and reformat it :/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134061