1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering lost home video from Pioneer Dvd Hard Disk Recorder

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by aussiemum, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussiemum

aussiemum Thread Starter

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder with 120g hard drive - DVR 720h. We use it to record TV shows and also I had transferred several hours of home video of our children, with the intention of using it to edit then burn onto dvd.

A few days ago, the hard drive reported it had errors and it said to reinitialize, which I didn't do as it would wipe the drive clean. I tried to copy the home movies to dvd but it wouldn't, then it showed the hard drive as empty.

The next morning I switched it on, and it worked as normal, except the hard drive showed only a few hours of recordings, with most of the home videos gone.

I know they would be still there physically, as it has not been written over or formatted.

It is working normally now, but of course I haven't recorded any more. The home movies are very precious to me and I am hoping to maybe transfer the contents onto a small hard drive that I can then install into my computer. I looked on the Internet forums, hoping to find it would be a simple procedure, but was dismayed to find that the DVD hard drive is set up in LInux, and so won't be visible to a Windows computer. I have a friend who is setting up a computer in Linux, to hopefully recover the lost files. Does anyone know of any software that would recover the files? I contacted Pioneer, but they didn't have any suggestions.

I am really hoping someone can help.

Many Thanks
    Aussiemum

2. arochester

arochester

Please treat what I say with caution!

I would examine the DVD Recorder to see if the Hard Drive can be easily removed. Assuming it is a regular Hard Drive I would put it inside a computer. I would then boot the computer using a Knoppix LiveCD and I would try to examine the Hard Drive.

Knoppix is well known as a recovery tool,which reads a wide range of things, for automaticaly mounting drives and being able to copy off to a variety of storage media. See e.g. "System recovery with Knoppix" at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html and "Knoppix gives bootable, one-disk Linux" at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopp.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice