1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering music/data from a damaged CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricEye, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ElectricEye

ElectricEye Thread Starter

Friends,

I got a very favorite music CD, It used to play ok in every CD player and computer. For a couple of years I didn't used it, and now that I tried to play it again, it does not play anywhere. I tried playing in ly laptop, nothing; in my desktop, nothing... computers don't even recognize it anymore.

I would liketo know if anyone knows a way of fixing it. It has no scratches whatsoever... it just shows as if there's nothing in the cd drive...

Your kind help is very much appreciated.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

is this a stamped or burned cd??

3. ElectricEye

This is a bured CD

4. ElectricEye

Sorry: Burned.

5. cybersloth

cybersloth

thaught it might be

unfortunatly with burnable disks, there's this thing called disk rot, basicly over time the crystal structure breaks down, all you can do is try it in some more computers to see if one will read it.

sorry i cant give you better news..

if anyone else has an idea hopefully they will post.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    You could have a look at the Unstoppable Copier. Review below from here:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-copy-utility.htm

"For those files that that simply won't copy due to problems such as bad sectors and scratches on the disk, Unstoppable Copier is still the best at getting around these specific types of problems. This amazing program attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made usable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end. The program will attempt to recover every readable piece of a file and put the pieces together. Using this method most types of files can be made usable even if some parts were not recoverable in the end. It is just the program for recovering partly corrupted files as well as well as getting your information off scratched CDs and DVDs, aging floppies and failing hard drives. Don't expect it to perform miracles though; some disks are just too physically damaged to allow data recovery."

7. lifeessence

lifeessence

I don't know about other people, but if you use that unstoppable copier, be ready to wait a LONG time once it get's to the corrupted data. I'm using it now (for some reason my Company of Heroes DVD doesn't work, no physical damage) and after...about 10 mins I've recovered 2.5KB of data. But the point is it HAS recovered them, which is more than I can say about everything else I've tried.

8. ElectricEye

Thank you all, dear friends, I'll give it a try!

9. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Please let us know how it goes ...

10. ElectricEye

Sorry, fellows, It didn't worked out... apparently the disk is severely damaged. Strange, the disk seems perfectly OK, but when in the drive, the PC doesn't even recognize it or show it is there...

Any more ideas? I'm ready to try them all!! Haha!

11. cybersloth

cybersloth

your drive shows up in my computer dosent it, i mean it's like you havent inserted a disk right?

12. ElectricEye

Yes: Device is there in the My Computer list: CD/DVD Drive (D: ). But when I insert a usable CD it will read: Music CD or the name of the data disk. in this case, when I insert my CD it seems as if I have not inserted any disk.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried this disc in another computer? Or in a regular CD Player?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice