1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering .NET after 2.0SP1 Install Hangs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Daiwa, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daiwa

Daiwa Thread Starter

I kept having problems with the .NET 2.0 SP1 update hanging immediately after the install initialized (using Windows Update) - would sit there for an hour or more & do nothing. I repeatedly rebooted & attempted the install, each time with the same result, it would just hang immediately after initialization. This was over a number of days, BTW. On XPP.

I decided to try to uninstall 2.0 and reinstall it, but got a message saying that the SP1 install was currently 'suspended', do I want to uninstall anyway? I said 'Yes' & let it uninstall. Now I can't get the 2.0 distributable to install - I get a message saying that 2.0 is incompatible with a previously installed version. The MSKB article on this error (support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/5/00.asp) says to simply uninstall 2.0 SP1 before attempting to install 2.0. Problem is, Windows doesn't see SP1 as installed, just 'suspended' and SP1 does not appear in Add/Remove Programs so no obvious way to uninstall SP1 I can see.

I have the same problem with the .NET 2.0 SP1 update hanging using Windows Update on another XP MCE rig but have not resorted to uninstalling anything there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. bingo24

bingo24

3. Daiwa

Daiwa Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer, bingo24.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice