1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering Sony Win95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ktrexler, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ktrexler

ktrexler Thread Starter

Can anyone here help? I've written to Sony but no response yet. I bought a third pc and want to give my Sony to a relative.....so since it was so kinked up.... I decided to do a complete recovery (format). Anyway everything SEEMS to have gone ok thus far. Here is the current status:
    FORMAT Complete.
    Writing out file allocation table
    Comlete.
    Calculating free space
    Complete.
    Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? [I hit ENTER]
    6,130.01 MB Total Disk Space
    [ditto available on disk]
    4096 bytes each allocation unit
    1,569,281 allocation units available
    Volume Seriel Number is 2023-1AEO.

Here is where my problem is:

I am now getting the A:\>_ prompt.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? And what will I do AFTER THAT?

Thanks,
    Elaine

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, after that, you need to figure out if you can gain access to your cdrom in dos mode (you really should have figured this out prior to formatting, but, that is a moot point now).

Do you have a full windows 95 installation cd? A recovery cd? What are our options here?

If you don't have a bootable disk, download one from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Do NOT SAVE IT TO FLOPPY. Save to desktop, double click and follow instructions to creat a boot disk.

Also, can you spell out exactly how you did the recovery? format? procedure?

3. ktrexler

ktrexler Thread Starter

I reckon it is a moot point.......I'm assuming I have access to my cd-rom since I did this stuff off a cd but the reason I ASSUMED it was ok to do a recovery was cause I had the cd that says recovery on it and if anything further was involved the Sony site (which used to be worth a toot) would state otherwise.

The Sony site told me the following was ALL that was involved in a "recovery without format".
    1. Insert the System Recovery CD in to the cd drive
    2. In the System Recovery Welcome window, click the OK button.
    3. Double-click the Complete Restore button.
    5. Double-click the Recover Hard Drive without Format button.
    6. Click the OK button.
    7. On keyboard, press Y to proceed with the recovery without format.
    (I have NOT done #8 yet since I don't have the restored yet)
    8. Download and install all available drivers and software updates for this model from the Sony PC Support Website at http://www.sony.come/pcsupport

After completing #7 I went back to Sony and found where I had to press Ctrl/Alt/Del and at the System Recovery CD screen, press the C key.

Then at the command prompt, type FORMAT C: and then press enter.

I'm SUPPOSED to have a full window recovery CD. What came with it when I bought it says "Microsoft Windows 95 companion" for distribution only with a new pc.

And so Acacandy, that is what I did to put the Sony in the shape it is in now.

Thanks,
    Elaine
    How do I determine if I can access my CD rom from MS-DOS?

4. ~Candy~

I'm not too sure format c: was the thing to do.....did the instructions tell you that?????

The 95 companion cd does not contain a setup.exe file..........so there is no easy way to install Windows 95 from it.

You can get a boot disk from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save to desktop, NOT TO FLOPPY...then double click and follow instructions. Boot with that and choose w/cdrom support and see if the drivers will load, or if you get error messages.

5. ktrexler

ktrexler Thread Starter

Sony said to do what I did re: hit the C (that took me away from the CD rom "Welcome" to MS-DOS (I guess) where I had the prompt to type FORMAT C: (which I thought would format my C drive?). I have no desktop on my Sony at this point as well as no internet Sony so I cannot download to my desktop. I do have two other working computers if that's any help in doing this.

On my recovery disk when making like a partial recovery is MS stuff but I don't suppose that is "windows".

(Yes, I am SINCERELY 'puter illiterate.)

Thanks,
    Elaine

6. ~Candy~

Yes, I realize the Sony isn't starting.....I was assuming on the computer you are on now, you can download that file ;)

You can try running thru the recovery again, just for fun. I don't think I've seen one where they actually tell you to format c: -- and yes, format c: wrecks everything.....

7. ktrexler

ktrexler Thread Starter

Hey Aca.....don't give up on me yet! :D It is late here (South Carolina) so I will try to do tomorrow the download. I will get back here after I do it. Good night, Elaine

8. ~Candy~

Me give up :confused:

Don't think it has ever happened :D

Post back in the a.m. when you are ready to kick butt :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice