1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovering to factory state

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MotoX86, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotoX86

MotoX86 Thread Starter

I am preparing my computer for doing a full pc recovery process. I have had viruses and spyware in the past and still continuing windows errors. I want to wipe my hard drive and recover my pc back to factory HP state. I do not have any recovery discs for it. The recovery disc creator does not work and my laptop has been discontinued and they don't offer any support for it. So I will be using the recovery console partition HP has put on the computer. All of my important data is backed up to an external hard drive. Is this risky at all? Could the process error at all? I don't know if the partition could have been tampered with from all the malware and cleanups I have done to the computer. I am a little worried if something happens, I have nothing psychically to help it complete the process.

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

No one can guarantee you that something wont go wrong while doing the recovery.
    I have seen the recovery process abort but the pc ended up just like i t was before the attemp.

The recovery partition for an hp machine with xp has a very high success rate with the recovery.Your partition will be fine if not then it will abort the recovery.

Do it now and get it over with,it is very painless.
    if you have xp hit the power button and start tapping f 10 until the options appear

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!