Recovering Word AutoCorrect Deletions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mlmorris

I use Word 97 on a desktop (Win XP/Home), Word 2002 on a desktop (Win 2000), and Word 2002 on a laptop (Win 2000).

In the AutoCorrect feature of both Word versions, there is the choice of converting certain text character sequences to "Smileys" or "Smiley Faces." There is also the ability to delete those conversions.

If you delete those conversions, is there any way to recover them?

I searched this forum, and found one posting that says you can back up the normal.dot file and that will retain all AutoCorrect settings. Presumably then, one could backup that file, delete the Smiley conversions, and, if you ever needed those conversions, restore the backed up normal.dot file.

Is that correct? Has anyone out there ever tried this (backing up and then restoring the normal.dot file)? Does it work? Is that the only solution?

Thanks for your help.

mlmorris

Thanks for help.

I have checked the URL you recommended. I may have additional questions, but first I will think about that info for a while.

Anne Troy

Anne
Ask all the questions you like.
Asking is free.
The answers might not be!!

LOL!! Just teasing you. :)

mlmorris

I have reviewed the information provided in response to my question regarding restoring deleted AutoCorrect items, and I have more questions.

Here are the references:

From “Office Articles” web page:

1. Find the location of normal.dot as described above. Close all Word documents so that there are no documents open, and your Word window is gray. Then File --> Open, and browse to your normal.dot file and open it. Make any changes you like, save it, and close it. Close Word and reopen to be sure all your changes have taken effect.

2. Changes to default view in Word won't "take" unless you also make some other change as well. So type something, delete it, change the view, save and close normal.dot.

From email response to my question:

3. So, if you read it properly, and you have made no other significant changes to your normal.dot, you should be able to rename your current normal.dot, launch Word and a brand new (default) one is created.

My questions are:

Paragraphs 1 and 2 above describe, as I understand it, a way to manually edit the Normal.dot file. However, the two paragraphs seem to be contradictory. In para. 1 the instructions are to make the changes to Normal.dot, save it, and then close it. The next sentence says to close Word (which should already be closed by the instruction in the second sentence). Does that mean it is necessary to open Word, close Word, then re-open Word?

I am not sure if the instructions in para. 2 apply to Word or to Normal.dot. The last two words in the second sentence say “close Normal.dot.” But that file should already be closed if the instructions in para. 1 were followed. So, do the instructions “. . . type something . . . change the view . . .) apply to Word? Does that mean that, in order to make effective the changes entered into Normal.dot, that, after saving Normal.dot, it is necessary to open Word, “. . . type something . . . change the view . . .), then close Word, then re-open Word?

In paragraph 3 above, the instruction begins “. . . if you read it properly . . . .” What is it that needs to be read properly?

Finally, despite my confusion over the instructions, am I correct in assuming the following sequence will work to recover the deleted Smileys:

1. Make sure Word is closed.
2. Locate and rename Normal.dot. Close Normal.dot if opened.
3. Open Word. A new Normal.dot will be automatically created, and will have the Smileys restored.

Anne Troy

Anne
#2 states "changes to the DEFAULT VIEW" in Word, not changes to normal.dot. I am only talking about changes to the VIEW for documents.

I have reworded it. Also, they're not steps (or they'd be numbered) and you're taking them as though they are steps.

Finally, despite my confusion over the instructions, am I correct in assuming the following sequence will work to recover the deleted Smileys:
1. Make sure Word is closed (correct)
2. Locate and rename Normal.dot (it shouldn't be opened, so no need to close it)
3. Open Word. A new Normal.dot will be automatically created, and will have the smileys restored. (correct)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online