1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery CD & missing partion problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ameet_pv, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ameet_pv

ameet_pv Thread Starter

Hi,
    The following are the steps I have followed.
    1) Partitioned my 15 gb hard disk into to partitions C (5 GB) & D (10).
    2) Set C as active partition.
    3) Defined complete D drive as a logical drive.
    4) Restarted USING Cntrl+Alt+Del command.
    5) At a:> gave format c: /s
    6) Again restarted the comp
    7) Saw that the hard drive was detected by the BIOS as primary slave
    (hope this is OK)
    8) Set the setting in bios whereby the computer should boot from the CD
    drive.
    9) Loaded the licensed WIN98 recovery CD which came along with the comp .
    10) Restarted the comp.
    11) Prompted to start the recovery process.

The problem starts now. After the display shows that 100% of the recovery process is completed, I get the following error message
    "Error# 1811
    Could not read from image file" :rolleyes:
    Now if I reboot using the boot disk to see what has been loaded on the C: drive I do not see anything and get the message that the c: drive is invalid. :confused:

If I run FDisk and choose the 4th option to view the partition information, I get the message that no partitions have been defined. :eek:

Even if I try to delete the partitions in the required order
    ( logical-->extended-->primary dos) I get the same message saying that no partitions have been defined and there seems to be nothing to delete.

I had verified after formating the c: drive and seen the Command.com file i the C: drive immediately after Step 5 as listed above.

Can any one give their valued suggestions. (y)

Thanks in advance.

Ameet

2. Katzy

Katzy

EEK! @ Recovery disks!

It sounds like the disk, itself, might be borked.

Also, shouldn't your hard-disk be "Primary master"?

Thinking on it, a recovery disk will "RECOVER". Not "Install from scratch", one would assume...

Time to upgrade to XP. :eek:

3. junker39

junker39

Katzy is correct. The drive should be connected as Master. Check your jumper on the HDD. If there is another drive on the same ribbon, ensure it is set to Slave.
    Katzy, I've got some Compaq Restore disks that have run on numerous makes and models of PCs. (they run on everything I've tried except a HP Pavilion) Then again I have the HP recovery that won't even run on the HP they came with!

4. Moby

Moby

Your recovery disc is also likely to wipe the partitions you've created and go back to a single partition, if you can get it to work that is.

5. ameet_pv

ameet_pv Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Form your pointers it has got confirmed that the problem is with to be the Disk itself.

I had checked the jumper setting on the Drive. It was set to master still it is being detected as primary slave.

Does it matter if I connect the drive on to a different connector on the same cable.

Also can anyone point to the things I should check to get my drive detected as primary master. Presently there is only a single drive along with the CD drive and floppy disk drive on my machine.

Will any changes be required to be done in the bios settings

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is some slight variation among cables. With most, it makes no difference which you connect to master, but with others, a specific connector needs to be used. Try switching to the other one---it may just solve the master /slave problem.

7. Katzy

Katzy

For the moment, I think you'd best avoid the BIOS. If you're computer-illiterate, as your experiece level says, you can cause an awful lot of problems by changing things you're not sure about.

If nothing else works, we'll try and guide you through the BIOS settings, if all else fails, yeah?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!