1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery console has errors.../non starter

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taf66, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

My friend has a hp pavillion a1629 desktop pc, it is refusing to restart...
    Its working on windows xp media center,she didn't have start up discs with it and from what i gather they're built in.

From what i can make it,she didnt have any security software on there and on scanning the hard drive through a docking station via my nortons found 13 viruses,which now have been resolved,but the pc is still refusing to start up,
    Theres 2 errors appearing one is windowsroot >\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. when i try to reboot it.
    The other error is on the recovery console side,it won't go into recovery just brings up this error...File\minit\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe error code 4.
    Both these errors are staying files missing or corrupt....

Can anyone help me please to solve these error codes,or do i need to purchase a recovery disc to wipe the pc?

and is it possible to run recovery via a docking station with her hard drive on my pc?

Any help appreciated. :)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The first error "ntoskrnl" is the NT - WindowsXP OS - Operating system and KRNL - kernel- effectively the heart of the system.
    Basically this on its own would indicate serious file corruption OR a possible hardware error.
    HOWEVER that on its own would not stop you entering the recovery console if it was a case of file corruption.

The second error when you attempt to enter the recovery console "ntkrnlmp" is NT as above the kernel - base files of the system and mp is the files on the CD to execute the setup and the recovery console.

When you say will not go into recovery console - do you mean - It will not enter the RECOVERY CONSOLE using an XP CD or the recovery procedure for HP ie: on the partition containing the recovery - if there is one.

I presume you have of course tried all the usual Safe Mode, Last Known Good etc.

There is a chance both of these are caused by a hardware fault, could be ram.
    Although with the brief history you have provided I may suspect the cause is:
    I am not qualified on this forum to deal with that aspect.
    Only certified malware advisors are allowed to do so.

If it is a CD check the CD, will the CD run on another computer.

Was the computer working perfectly before the apparent infection.
    If so and as you HAVE removed the hard drive, CHECK that all cables and leads are securely seated and that RAM is secure, you have not disturbed anything, as BOTH of these errors could be cuased by apparent hardware faults, which MAY just be caused by something being disturbed.

HAVING CHECKED THAT my advice is to see this link
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html
    and when posting in the Malware forum - provide a link to this thread and post on here to the effect that you have posted in malware.

3. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

Many thanks for replying :)

I have done the usual checks safe mode,last known etc... it still comes back with errors,normally configuration one...

The recovery console is the one built in to the system,i've double checked all wires are firmly seated.
    The cd writer had also failed before removal of the hard drive,so this was replaced with a working cd writer and all working fine on that side,the pc reconizes the drive and is showing it on set up. So would this has caused the faults in the first place?

The hard drive appears to be running fine in a docking station,this was done to remove important pictures & documents before attempting the recovery process.
    But alas like i said the pc refuses to continue start up,saying it has shut down to protect the pc,it just shows a blue screen with the options of going into set up,boot or recovery when rebooted.

4. Macboatmaster

Now that I know the recovery console is the one built into the system - please clarify if you mean that on boot there is the option to load windows or boot to the Microsoft Recovery Console.
    This would NOT be standard on that computer.
    The recovery console can be installed from the i386 file of the XP CD as a boot option.

However I think you refer to you not to the restore function of the HP normally accessible from the F12 or other key on the first screen.

Obviously my previous question regarding the CD is somehwat irrelevant.

5. Macboatmaster

Further to the above I have had a quick look at your computer.
    Here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...veCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3326370

You have I think five choices.
    1. F10 and recovery if possible. Perhaps this is what you already tried.
    2. Order a set of recovery discs.
    3. Make yourself an XP recovery console. However this will ONLY repair what can be accessed from the drive, it does not have the Windows files. It would be a way of running chkdsk on the drive in the computer.
    4. Now you have your data format and reinstall using the product key on the computer - HOWEVER do not forget that this was an OEM installation. A Microsoft XP CD more than likely will not accept that key.
    5.Format it and install Ubuntu 10.04 - all free with all software free. I use it on one of my machines it is brilliant and may people prefer many aspects of it over an above Windows.

6. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :)
    I have since ordered a media centre start up disc and the darn thing won't work!
    I tried re booting from dvd drive,i just get a black screen with cursor flashing in the corner,it wont attempt to start up...

Any ideas please?? i'm losing the will!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice