1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovery disc question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by calibretto, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

ok, well i recently installed windows xp on my computer and it really sucks and i hate it. i had 98 before and i want to upgrade, just not to xp anymore.

now to the point. if i have a recovery cd for windows ME could i use that? the catch is it's not the recovery cd that came w/ my computer. my computer being a gateway and the recovery cd being for a compaq.

if i can't do this i'll just have to put 98 back on it, which i don't want to do.

thanks a lot.

calibretto

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The Compaq CD won't work. It will stop and tell you it doesn't recognize the system or something like that. And even if it did work, you would be sorry.

3. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

i didn't think the compaq disc would work. i wanted to ask someone before i stuck it in my disc drive tho. :D what about a gateway recovery cd? if i had a gateway recovery cd for windows ME? my original recovery disc is for 98, so would the ME disc work?

calibretto

4. TechChick

TechChick

Recovery CDs usually only work with the hardware they were shipped with. You probably can't use a recovery CD with any computer other than the one it came with.

5. kknla

kknla

You should be happier running WIN98se in the long run. If you are not playing a bunch of big games, then I would stay w/ 98se.

6. bearsicecream

bearsicecream

I don't think the recovery disks would do you any good. I recently experienced a similar problem with XP; where it wouldn't install over my windowsSE. I tried and am still trying to get my computer up and running.
    Finall I decided to us my recovery disks that were purchased with my computer, an HP 8595c 733, I tried to recover my files using HP's recovery disk for this machine. I get the error message that this is not an HP computer. I finally decided to reformat and recover, the recovery CD's that came with the Hewlett Packard dont work. So good luck with your computer. I'm still trying to get mine to run properly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice