1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovery disk = Lost pictures

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steve a, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve a

steve a Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a Toshiba A105.with windows xp os. I got stupid this am and thought I would run my recovery disk. No real problems with the laptop I was just hoping to clear up outlook. I started the disk and remember I had pictures I had not copied to disk yet. are they gone forever or any chance I can get them back.I only ran disk a few minutes and canceled it. but computer will not start up i get a message NTLDR is missing. I would be more than willing to take it somewhere for repair if you think they can save the pictures if not I guess I will just put the disk back in and restore it. Thanks Steve A

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you did a "System Recover" which is a reset back to factory settings, then YES, they and ALL other saved data and programs are gone from the C drive.

3. steve a

steve a Thread Starter

Thanks Dave A,
    I bit the bullet and went to best buy the geek pulled the hard drive and check it. Said it was wiped clean. I learned a hard lesson, all those pictures gone.
    Steve A

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Sorry to read that they're lost. If you're looking to run a backup prog for the future it's worth considering this commercial version of Titan Backup free from this reputable site:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-titan-backup.htm

Full explanation in the above link.I've no connection with either site, just making a suggestion.

Richard.

5. Zygmo

Zygmo

Let me add one more thing to this discussion. It is my understanding that when you restore a system on a HD with a recovery program, it formats the partition. You can get programs that UNformat partitions. If your recovery program also deletes and remakes the partition too, before the reformat....then, I am not sure. Go online, search Free software, pick a site and look through the headings for Hard Drive Tools, or Utilities....something in there may help you.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I agree with Zygmo, definitely worth trying some recovery software. The shop may have just hooked up the drive and checked if Windows could see anything.
    If you stopped the recovery process in time, there might not have been much written to the drive, so your data might not have been overwritten yet.

Check Elvandil's list of recovery software [post=6233957]here[/post]

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice