1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery Disk probs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lehj0002, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehj0002

lehj0002 Thread Starter

My wife has an HP slimline s7520n. Long story short . . . hard drive crashed. Ordered recovery disks from HP and replaced the HD...seagate 7200.10 250gb. Former drive was seagate 7200.9 200gb. The recovery disks dont work. I get a blinking cursor . . . no error messages . . . nothing. Spent some time with HP tech support and said the motherboard needed to be re-tattooed. The want $200 to do it. I guess my question is is there something I can do to fix this issue? Im not a moron when it comes to computers but this is beyond my knowledge. Need some quidance. Ive looked around and heard about some utilites that I can get but don't know exactly what there for are how to use.

I've checked the bios and DVD drive is set to boot first. The HD is recognized and is working fine. Installed a copy of XP pro but the wife liked media center edition better. What ever the wife wants . . . Help me!

2. rodeognome

rodeognome

I don't understand this posting at all.

There is a problem with the motherboard?

You have XP already on it but not happy with it?

You want XP Media Center Edition but cannot put it on because of the motherboard?

I am confused.

3. lehj0002

lehj0002 Thread Starter

Im trying to restore the comptuer back to factory settings . . . but the Recovery CDS wont work because of the new hard drive i put in. HP told me bc ithe HD wasnt factory installed, the recovery disks wont work unless I re-tattoo the bios for the new harddrive. Does that make any sense?

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

Ok, you have the license sticker for Win XP Media Center edition on base of laptop right?

If you have this , you can use ANY Win XP Media Center CD -borrow one from a colleague if you have to.

(Forget about HP restore CDs - they don't always even work)

5. lehj0002

lehj0002 Thread Starter

Yeah I have the sticker. Won't I have to install a bunch of drivers? When I did that with a different machine, also an HP, I had to go to the website and install drivers that were missed. Its been my experience that some components dont use generic dirvers (Soundcard, Modem, Video, etc)

6. rodeognome

rodeognome

Unfortunately, you will have to download some of the drivers from the HP site...but hey you will get
    a working copy of windows and a happy missus!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice