1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery disk, Repair disk and Installation disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Walker79, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Walker79

Walker79 Thread Starter

Note I have a OEM windows product key .

No Recovery disk, Repair disk and Installation disk came with my computer.

Do I have to go to Microsoft web site or the manufacturer of the computer web site to download the recovery disk, repair disk and Installation disk.

Some one said you can download windows ISO from Microsoft web site if you have the product key is that true?

If not where do you get the Installation disk, recovery disk, or repair disk?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It is true you can, as a general rule, download a copy of Windows. But only if you have a valid key. Sorry, OEM won't do it. For that you should ask the manufacturer or the place from which you purchased the machine.

If you have a name brand, such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. Yes, I know that Compaq is owned by HP). On those you'll generally find some kind of Recovery Media creator. Again, as a rule, you can only create one set of recovery disks. Then the software will disable that option. You also may have a recovery partition on your hard disk. How to access it will depend on the type of machine.

3. Walker79

Walker79 Thread Starter

I have a recovery partition do you copy this over to USB or DVD or use recovery media creator software?

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You can't move the recovery partition. Both the created media and the build-in recover are dependent on it being there. Yes, there are ways around that. But they're hard to do, in my opinion, and take a lot of time.

If I were you I'd look up the model of the machine and see how to start the factory created recovery. Unless, of course, it's a "image" created earlier. Then you'll need windows to start the recovery or, if possible, boot with advanced options showing (Depending on the version of the OS.) Which won't help you if the machine wont boot at all.

Lastly, you may be able to purchase recovery discs from the manufacturer? Again, that depends on the make and model of the machine machine.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    My eMachine and Acer computers, had listings in All Programs that allowed me to make a factory restore CD/DVD (Win 7 is the first that required a DVD), driver disks, and program disks.
    That's the first thing I did when I brought the computers home.

Since you have an OEM key, what is the brand and exact model of your computer?

6. Walker79

Walker79 Thread Starter

So if I understand I have to make my own recovery disc?

Well disk image may be good but that is only recommend after an clean install not after the computer been in use. So it seems that is out of a question.

So it seems like a recovery disc is the only option.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I can't tell you for sure that you can make recovery disks. It depends on the machine. Also, a recovery image that's older can be useful, as long as it was made when there were no issues.

The last thing is that you may be able to recover, as in revert to factory default, directly by pressing a combo of keys. Again, that will depend on the machine.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the brand name and model name and exact model number and exact serial number of your computer?

What is the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity(C-O-A) sticker where its product key is located?

Note: Do NOT type in the product key or submit an image of the C-O-A sticker.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice