1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery drive help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Natayos, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Natayos

Natayos Thread Starter

Hello;
    Im using a Dell Inspiron 1520. My recovery drive is red and it says that it is full. How do I empty it so that it is not full?

2. kimsland

kimsland

The recovery partition is made near or the same size as the recovery software (nothing to free up)

You can defrag it, but it may not be necessary

3. Natayos

Natayos Thread Starter

does defraging free up space on the drive? Also will it harm my computer in any way?

4. kimsland

kimsland

Yes it can free up space by compacting older files

It is better to defrag regulary to make the hard drive run smoothly
    But...
    If your hard drive is on its way out (noisy clunking) it can make your hard drive fail.

5. Natayos

Natayos Thread Starter

If I just turned off the "Make the Recovery" application, I.E. the thing that makes a backup of all my files, do I need to fix the lack of memory problem?

6. kimsland

kimsland

Sorry for the delay, I'm in and out a lot.

You asked if you just turn off the recovery program to save mem.

Most hard drives these days are quite large, and therefore creating backups of your files, should not cause any issues.

As for do I need to fix.
    Actually defrag is not fixing the file system, so I suggest you to still defrag every once in a while.

7. katabby

katabby

The recovery partition should be almost full. It is used only to restore your computer back to the way it was when it left the factory. That means none of your programs or files etc. You should keep backups of your files etc. somewhere else (DVD etc) but never to your recovery partition. Most computers you can make a copy of your recovery partition (dvd).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice