1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcnewbie1, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

I'm trying to recover my pc to original settings due to numerous errors ,windows wont boot errors,computer was unable to start messages,loadkey failed with error 1393(sthive=0) message,disk boot failure,seems to be one error after another.So i purchased recovery CD's from HP,they just arrived today.Directions say to put the cd in,turn off computer,then turn in back on and i should get a recovery manager welcome screen.So i did those steps in order,turn my pc on and get the loadkey error as mentioned above with a blue screen background.I clicked ok and was able to get to recovery manager screen,clicked next and it started its process,said to insert cd2,so i did,it started process again and stopped at 2%,has been sitting at 2% for an hour,and i hear it doing nothing.I'm using a hp pavillion desktop pc with windows vista OS.What should i do? Should i turn it off and try to let it restart recovery?I'm not very good with this stuff so any detailed help would be greatly appreciated,thanks

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Sounds like you have some hardware problems, restoring the system may not fix this.

Start by testing the hard drive as follows. You can use another PC to create the boot disc. Run the extended test where available and report back with the result.

3. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

ive ran all the system and hard disk diagnostics before i ordered the recovery cd's,all came up PASSED.I just turned the pc off via the power button,started over with recovery disc 1,it ran to the point i was to insert cd2 in,which was where it stuck at 2% for over an hour,this time its still going and up to 23% on reinstalling original content,i guess the reformatting part is done already.But also with the 2 system recovery cd's they sent a supplemental recovery cd.whats that one for?
    Ok,it made it thru on the 2nd recovery attempt,said recovery complete,clcik finish to restart,clicked finish and when it restarted there was a small window that looked like dos mode,it said a few things which i couldnt read fast enough then went to a white background screen with 2 yellow folders,which looks like pieces of paper going from one to the other.Still unsure what the supplemental cd they sent was/is for.crossing fingers its going to be ok .Also i had made back ups of what i had on the PC (5 cd's worth of stuff),should i be able to install only certain things from those cd's or when i put them in will it install it ALL? just dont want whatever cause these problems to be put back on if it was something i made a backup of.i hadnt installed any new hardware or software just before these problems so im still not sure what really happened.

4. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

ok,problem NOT solved.I clicked finish to the recovery,computer restarted.A black screen appeared with a white bar at the bottom saying windows is loading files,when it was finished the blue screen came up with the options at bottom esc=boot menu , i think it was f10 for something else and f11 for system recovery.if i dont do anything it continues to try and boot (i think) and a screen pops up about windows failed to start,blah blah blah, safe mode ,restart normally and a few other options,but it all leads back to windows failed to start.Now what? Maybe insert the supplementary recovery cd they sent ,then turn it off again ,then on again and see if it gets files from that cd? i dont know what to do,i raN all the diagnostic tests and they all passed.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

What diagnostics have you run on the hard drive. If it is the built in diagnostics then I would recommend you run the diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer as this will give a much better test.

Something is clearly going wrong with the installation to cause a boot failure and this is most likely to be a hardware fault. You also had problems before the re-install attempt so you need to diagnose what is at fault before you are likely to have a succesfull re-install.

If the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostics come up clean then I would also suggest you run this following test on the memory, again this is a much better test to the one built into the system.

6. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

ok well since ive been trying to do all this from a laptop with no cd drive,i couldnt do anything but download those programs to this pc and had no way to get them onto my hp thats been messed up .So i decided after much searching ,clicking links,etc etc,to just try and use my recovery discs for the 3rd time,i dont know why but ive gotten 3 different results on all 3 attempts,i guess they say the 3rd times a charm for a reason,it appears to be recovered this time.its going thru the one-time setup process,has restarted several times doing so,which its suppose to do,now just waiting for it to get done.i will be back to check for better programs to install to be prepared for the next time.But meanwhile,the disks i had made as backups for programs etc,should they be ok to install or should i just start over in case there was a virus or something in one of them that began all this trouble for me? or is there a way to get specific apps/programs i want from the cd's and leave the rest?
    Oh,i did break out the 12year old compaq i had in the closet because of it freezing up all the time,tried to download or burn those programs,it appears windows 2k is too out of date to get them.but what surprised me most is the computer didnt freeze up.might have to check into updating it.Can a newer OS be installed on an older pc like that? thanks for all your help

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

There is a possibility you had an infection but that would not explain the problems encountered running the Recovery. You should scan all your back up discs with Anti Virus to be sure, I would suggest using Eset online scan from here as it is very thorough. It will tell you where any infections are but you cannot erase them from a disc, you would need to copy the disc to a seperate partition on the hard drive and then run the scan so the program can delete any infections found.

Now you have it running I would recommend you create the diagnostics discs for the hard drive test and the memory test.

How have you backed up the software?, if you have just copied the Program files they will be of no use as you need the installation program to be able to re-install them.

Saved documents can simply be copied back into the Documents folder or wherever you wish to put them.

You would need to post the specs of the old compaq for me to tell you if you can upgrade to a newer OS.

8. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

wll as it turns out the recovery did not help a thing,now mostly just get a solid blue screen.although sometimes i can get it to the black screen with safe mode,safe mode with networking,and like 5 other options,doesnt matter which i click the computer just seems to restart leading back to the same blue screen or the safe modes etc screen.I called hp support and told them i had run the recovery cd's and still had problems,they had me hit f9 key but all i got was a black screen,when i told them that they put me on hold for like 5 minutes,came back and said it was a hardware issue and that i needed to take it to a tachnician or i could send it to them .sending it to them he said could run up as much as 300$,i said i can buy another new one for a little more.so basically im still stuck in same situation.i removed the memory sticks,one at a time rebooting after emoving each one,nothing changed.oh,and while i was on the phone with HP support they had me go to f10 i htink it was and run the SMART tests,which showed it was fine,passed.Is there any way to find out if the HD is bad without being able to use it in my PC? i looked online for price of a new one and its like 159$,which if i KNEW that was the problem i would try and get one,but i dont want to buy it and that not be the cause of my issues.
    As for the specs of my old compaq,its a compaq presario internt pc,with windows ME ,512 mg RAM,which is having issues as well,that i made a new post about in windows ME section of forums.

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

As I suspected, the recovery has not worked as you clearly have a hardware fault.

As I have already suggested and given full instructions for, you should first run the hard drive diagnostics. Until you can do this there is no point in looking at anything else. A drive can fail without giving any SMART warnings so the SMART test is not conclusive proof that the drive is in good health.

As for the Compaq PC, you have not supplied a model number so I cannot investigate the full specifications, all I have to go on is the ram capacity. With this low level of RAM you could run XP, if you upgrade it (depending on the speed of the CPU) you may be able to run Vista or Windows 7. Getting up to date drivers for the existing hardware compatible with a newer OS may be a problem.

I can help you diagnose what the problems are but we will not make any progress unless you follow what I have suggested ;). You need to borrow a friends PC to burn the diagnostics discs and then we may make some progress.

10. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

its a compaq presario 5001sr desktop internet pc,its actually up and running right now but when i tried to download the IMGburn ,from the link provided above,it says that IMGburn expects a newer version of windows.so as you said,i need to borrow a friends pc or try to make it over there .Its a shame this laptop has no cd rom drive,my other laptop does but it was dropped and cant make anything out on the screen,need to find out if you can replace the monitor part or if the whole laptop is junk now,hopefully it caN be replaced
    does running a recovery cd change bios setting back to original as well? thinking i may have changed something in there on the hp pavillion desktop pc,windows vista OS,

11. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

i downloaded imgburn,have it in a .zip on desktop,im trying to extract it onto a cd but says its password protected,insert the password below.
    another thing,when i was able to get into system recovery options,it had a command prompt option,it seems to have disappeared

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Lets concentrate on one PC at a time or this will get complicated and confusing.

First priority is to make the diagnostics disks.

The ImgBurn download is an .exe file, when saved to your desktop you just need to double click on it and it will install. You then launch that software and use it to burn the ISO image for the hard drive diagnostics and likewise for the Memtest. Use the link I gave for it and click on Official Mirror to download it. Why are you trying to extract it to a CD, you need it on the PC with the CD burner to create the diagnostics disks.

13. pcnewbie1

pcnewbie1 Thread Starter

i cant do it with the pc that is working that has a cd burner because i have windows ME OS on it and when i click IMGburn it says it expects a newer version of windows.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

The only way forward with this is to make the discs, you will have to use a friends PC, not a lot else we can do. Or, get XP installed on the old machine so you can use it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice