1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Recovery media stuck at 85%

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by annjano, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

I am installing Recovery Media on a Toshiba laptop. I ordered the recovery (USB) directly from Toshiba
    providing them with the model # so I know it is the appropriate restoration software. The OS is Windows 8.1
    I am booting from the USB drive. I have tried installation several times now and each time the installation
    times out at a different percent. The farthest I have got it to go was to 85%. The error message I received
    is as follows:
    RicaDeployer.exe Application Error
    The instruction at 0x5c84be09 referenced memory at 0x00000018. The memory could not be read.

Although Toshiba provided me with the Restoration USB, they would also like $200 just to suggest to me
    what types of problems this laptop may be having causing the installation to be stuck in a loop.
    I took the battery out and reinstalled it, this made no difference.
    I don't think this is a hardware issue. Maybe it could be problems with hard drive partitions; but, since the restoration ran to 85% you would think that it has already found the correct partition to run on. The battery is fine. The hard drive has plenty of space. The only hard ware problem that I think might be possible is not enough memory. However you would think that with the recovery media wiping out the hard drive in preparation for installation would free up the memory.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank
    you, Ann

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

Greetings

The model is: Serial # 2EO28352S
    Satellite P55t-A5118
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    The computer is a relatives but I knew of the last known configurations and at that point
    the hard ware seemed fine. The reason for performing this recovery was because the Operating System was not accessible. I could not even boot in safe mode.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. Macboatmaster

what was not accessible = the boot to Windows - etc.

I presume you know that the recovery media from Toshiba will delete everything and return the laptop to as was- in other words your relative will lose all their data

5. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

Yes I totally understand that the restoration media will wipe out that was in there.
    The laptop would not boot to any Windows function. The system would just boot
    to a blue screen and then ask for recovery media. I performed a few things first such
    as turning on and off 3 consecutive times, performing a check for error corrections; however,
    each time it would lead me to the message that the system required restoration media.

6. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

I tried running the program again, and it stopped at 55% this time
    and gave the following error message:
    An error has occured
    0x00000003 Recover image failed
    This is an error message I have received before in addition
    to the error message mentioned above

7. Macboatmaster

1. In case you need it ,here is the link to the laptop on HP
    https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200007478&osId=38

2. There have always been problems with the Toshiba recovery media - far better is to boot from a windows 8.1 media direct from Microsoft
    If you can get a boot from that not only can you use it for a clean install, but also to carry out various tests
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

I suggest you make the media either on a USB or writeable DVD ( the laptop of course having a DVD drive)
    and boot from that
    You need to configure the download of the 8.1 from the link by language and then of course 64bit
    the 8.1 includes both the 8.1 and 8.1 professional
    I think yours is NIOT the professional

When you boot from the USB your firmware which is UEFI needs to be set UEFI not legacy, there is no point installing in legacy mode

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite P55t-A5118 (support site for serial #2E028352S)

It appears to be about a 6-year old model which came with Windows 8.1 64-bit, so investing a lot of money into it wouldn't be feasible.

I'll leave you with Macboatmaster.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Macboatmaster

10. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replies, I think you make an excellent suggestion by having me
    go directly to a Microsoft 8.1 restoration. I have an available 16G flashdrive that I will
    install the Windows 8.1 on, and I will try to use that for recovery. The firmware is set
    to UEFI. I will post again with the results. Thanks!

11. Macboatmaster

If you need help when you get the installation media made please post

12. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

Greetings
    I downloaded and burned a DVD of Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft. Once again the installation
    stopped at a certain percentage. I continue to receive the error "Windows cannot install required files.
    Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code:0x8007045D" I am beginning to wonder if this has something to do with the partition,
    if you notice in the attached picture it says that Windows can not be installed on Drive 0 Partition 4
    Is there any information you have that might help me resolve these issues.
    Thank you, Ann

Attached Files:

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, the partition probably has bad sectors. I don't think you can do anything about it. Choose another partition.

14. Macboatmaster

The cause of the error can be bad sectors on the drive
    If it has bad sectors on that partition, it is really rather pointless choosing another partition, as once a drive develops bad sectors, it is NOT suitable for installing Windows

There are other possible causes, but the likely cause is the drive, especially when considering your reason for this reinstall

The way forward is to carry out a chkdsk /r on the drive.

Before I explain further how to carry out that chkdsk
    This error can be caused by other than a failing drive.
    It can be caused by a bad burn on the DVD - too high a speed is a frequent cause.

Additionally have you deleted all partitions on the drive OR are these partitions that are shown on your image previously existing partitions
    See here please
    https://www.eightforums.com/threads/clean-install-windows-8.2299/
    following install UEFI

15. annjano

annjano Thread Starter

Greetings!
    Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. When I first began this process of using the Toshiba recovery media to reinstall the Windows 8.1, I thought for sure that I may be able to count on Toshiba for something. So much for that. They will sell you recovery files and when the files won't work. they suggest you send the laptop in at a cost of $200.
    I wasn't about to explain that I have some background in computers. Also, it is expected that the average user may purchase recovery media and may need some help. Your suggestions were most helpful and I did get this laptop up and running but I had some help from Microsoft support too. Before contacting Microsoft, I did try several of these suggestions. I re-burned another Win 8.1 DVD from Microsoft website. The installation process continued to get stuck in a loop. So, I used the command prompts to "clean disk" then I converted to Mbr. The only thing I didn't do that I probably could have was the chkdsk. Then I tried installing the recovery files again, and I had no luck. Someone suggested to me that if updates were done, then that could have something to do with preventing the installation and supposedly Toshiba doesn't do updates. I thought that after cleaning the drive that the files would install. After nothing seemed to work, I contacted Microsoft support. For $49 Microsoft guaranteed that I would have the laptop fixed by the end of the day or I would get my money back. The Microsoft support rep downloaded the Windows 8.1 files on my good laptop and saved them to the USB that I inserted in the good laptop. I then booted from USB on the laptop I was fixing and ended up getting the same errors. At that point the Microsoft rep suggested we can try to install Windows 10. My thoughts were the same. We went through the process again of the rep remotely downloading Win 10 on my good laptop, and then I began the installation process on the laptop I was repairing with no glitches . In the beginning of the process, the rep had me delete all partitions, leaving only one. This partition was of course the size of the hard drive and was now considered unallocated space. This assured me that the disk was clean. Sure enough the Windows 10 installed :) However, the process wasn't completely cleared, because near the end of set up, the installation seemed to stalling.
    For this, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes then reinstalled it. This seemed to help because afterwards the installation completed. At last, I had an operating system. On a few occasions since, I have received and error message which seems to me that it may have something to do with updates. However, Microsoft has provided me with 30 days of continual support if I need it. Now that is service!! The error message I most recently received may have been taken care of once I connected to wi-fi, as I haven't seen it since. At least I know that I can still get in touch with Microsoft if necessary. I have attached 2 pictures. One is of the installed system ( the reward for hard work) the other is of the recent error message I received which I am not too worried about at this point. Mission accomplished!! Thank you all !!

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice