1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery of regestration key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kolahalb, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Hi! This is Kolahal.
    I post to be clear about my confusion regarding Windows.It's an original one,purchased through a miidleman and currently installed in this pc.However.The middleman did not give us the lisence code.He himself installed it.
    However,we are suspecting him to hack my computer for last couple of months and finally stopped the hacking.Can you give me some idea that how can I recover the license code from my computer tself?So that next time when I will format my machine I will enter the same code.See, this is not like I am demanding for a regestration code.And the foolishness from our side was not to contact Windows directly.We were quite illeterate about these things at that time.Please,I understand that what I say may not be applaudable, but really I am not lying.

2. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

3. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Well,it is showing error locating xpkey.txt
    Does it mean that he lied to us that it's original?
    But,how that is possible?My computer has recently auto-updated from SP1 to SP2.
    Also frequently this auto-updates take place.

4. lubu

lubu

That was awesome !!! But what if someone misuses this tool to get the key and then register a pirated copy of XP.

Regards,

5. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

All this tool does is show the current Windows key installed.. It won't help anyone install or activate a pirated version of Windows.

6. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

There is an option to change the key.Since I believe mine is an original one,will that help at all?

7. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

You asked for a way to find out what your key was.. Magical JB showed it to you.. If your Windows is legit and you can receive updates why do you have a need to change it?

8. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Ofcourse,but I told that because couple of weeks ago I had to formt my computer as it was totally out of order due to spywares.That time I needed to call him and he installed it.In future,I may again need this to do;but that time I wish to format on my own.For this reason I seek help.

9. Billy the Adult

Billy the Adult

If your copy of Windows is legit then write down the key and save it should you need to re-format again. Changing it will only require you to re-activate and then you will be in for a headache. If you suspect someone is hacking into your pc then changing the code won't stop that.. you need the appropriate security tool such as a firewall.

10. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

Will you be more specific?I have already told that in the place of cd key the error is coming as: error locating xpkey.txt
    Obviously I will not save it.
    I mean to say,suppose I change the key as I like.Then,during the next formatting whether the changed key will do and I will have the original version.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your copy is not legal, if you did not receive the license for XP then he pirated the copy of Windows. I'd go back to him and demand that he give you the CD and License or you'll report him to Microsoft.

12. kolahalb

kolahalb Thread Starter

seems a good suggestion...However,it is surprising that the Windowws stuff was auto-updating!

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Microsoft only flags copies that use specific keys or installations that have been hacked/modified. If a copy is shared but the source CD and license is legit then Microsoft doesn't know until you exceed the number of activations your copy is allowed before it will fail to activate.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice