1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovery partition

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jssch, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

After trying unsucessfully to fix a missing ntkrnlpa.exe problem on boot for my friends laptop, I am now resigned to doing a clean install (but have no Vista installation disc) Do have the COA on the machine, just no disc. I have read in numerous posts,etc that many pc manufacturers put the ability to go back to factory state in a recovery partition??? I am working on a Dell Inspiron 1521 Laptop. Would I be able to bring her computer back to factory state with a Vista recovery partition and could anyone help me do that if possible?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,

Dell support where you can find all the info you need to do a full system Recovery (back to factory settings as new)

or, possibly a much easier way to repair it

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You will need to type in the Service Tag ID found underneath the computer's case on a label- record it, and when you type it in at the site, takes you to the specific info for the laptop.

If you wish, post the Service Tag here and I can look up info for you about system recovery.

Usually, all the original factory installed hardware drivers are available from Dell support but keep in mind, anything like a new printer, camera, etc would have to be reinstalled by you /the owner. In addition, all programs that were not part of the system as it was brand new will not be there. You will need a way to replace them, either downloaded from the Net or from CDs etc. You will need to load an antivirus program, probably not the one that came preinstalled though, unless it is an active subscription that can get it's current antivirus Updates....

3. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

The service tag is 7TX38F1

Thanks for the help!

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

After Pressing power button start tapping F8 continuously until you enter a screen with all kinds of repair options, safe mode etc...the last one should be restore to Dell Factory Options which should complete in about 10 minutes.

5. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

No option to go back listed there.

Following the information from the Dell Website HERE... it looks like I should have a Repair your computer option in the Advanced Boot Menu, but I don't see one....... I do have a system recovery CD that I burned from a third party source to try and fix the boot problem for the last two weeks, so I can get into command prompt through that disc.... would there be a way to get to the hidden recovery partition (assuming there is one) through that command prompt?

6. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I contacted Dell to see if I could get an Installation CD sent to me and they said it would cost $59 since it is no longer under Warranty. Unreal.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

There has to be an option with F8 to Restore to as new unless the drive has been formatted and the partition erased. It's the last option on the list.

8. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

In trying to fix her boot up problem, I went through all the steps of rebuilding the BCD, etc. After finally getting it to recognize the OS again it then had the missing or corrupt ntkrnlpa.exe problem. In doing all that, would it have affected the recovery partition? I know for a fact that I haven't formatted the drive again, (not yet anyway). I doubt seriously that my friend had anything like that done to her computer and that it was just the same as when she bought it. (She's not around right now so can't ask!)

Would there be any way by using the command prompt to spot a hidden recovery partition? If not can anyone direct me to where I can get a Vista Home Installation CD to reinstall? The COA is still on the bottom of the laptop.

9. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Just another thought while I am here..... I tried using the command prompt to copy the ntkrnlpa.exe file from the recovery cd to the windows\system32 directory on the c: drive. When I booted it came up with cannot boot again, but this time, not because the file was missing, but that it couldnt validate a digital signature of that file..... So my thought is, could I be on the right track with trying to replace the missing file, but once again would need a installation CD to do it?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Dell should sell you a Windows dvd. Often tiems they will give you one if they can see you didn't have one when it was shipped.
    Sounds like you are close and a real dvd is what you need. If you know someone else with a Dell Vista install same version, you can use their dvd with your Coa on the tower.

11. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

I have tried three times, unsuccessfully to get someone at Dell to sell me the OEM Vista Disc. I call the new sales lines, they switch me to support, which says its out of Warranty and if I want help it will cost $59.00. All I need is the splendid disc. Does anyone have a better way to contact Dell to get what I need?

12. Byteman

http://support.dell.com/support/top...tails?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=anavml

You may have to click on the "Service Contracts and Warranties" tab

I don't know if that page will display OK for you but on mine it says warranty and coverage only expired on the 8th of December, and it has a link to request an extension, which may be preferable to try and do.

Have you tried online chat or phone calls to Technical Support?

I have not had this much trouble getting Recovery sets from Dell! Might be time to contact Customer Service....ask to speak to a higher up.

13. jssch

jssch Thread Starter

Thought I would try something just so I could see partitions.... I put in a Windows XP Home CD and ran set-up just to the point where it would ask me on which partition to install it. It did show a recovery partition in use on D:

Since "repair your computer" doesnt show up on F8 startup, can I access that recovery partition on D: through the command prompt in the Vista Recovery Disc? If so what would I be looking for as far as .exe files go?

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The use of the "Recover" partition is NOT a Windows item, but a app that the OEM has added to their design.

I do NOT think what you are asking is possible.

15. Byteman

Some Dells running Windows Vista can access the Recovery partition to start the process by holding down CTRL + F11 at bootup. Worked on an XPS 400 for me recently. Owner had no discs to use. Does the full recovery so all data on there is lost.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!