1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recovery Program Recovers Files But Not File Names

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SKreme, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I had a HDD in an external enclosure. Something got messed up (I think it was disconnected by accident during a file transfer) and now when I plug it in, the drive is recognized in "My Computer" and disk management but it says that the drive is not formatted and asks me if I want to format it. I had data on it that wasn't backed up (Doh!) so I plugged it into one of my computers and tried a couple of recovery programs. I was able to recover most of my files but it seems the recovery programs can't get the original file names. (It names the files recoveredfile01.pdf, recoveredfile02.doc etc.) Since it would take me hours to rename every file I am trying to find a way to recover the names too. Anyone know of any programs/methods that would do this? Obviously the files are still there... I would assume the names are there somewhere also. For your information: I am running Windows XP Pro and the HDD was formatted in FAT32. Thanks for your help!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

FAT32 is part if what's making the names difficult to recover. I use it, myself, on my OS partition and my data storage partition; but, my data partition is backed up every two hours and my OS partition imaged about every two- to three months.

I use Easy Recovery Pro version 6. A later version is now available; but, this one still does the job for me. There are three recovery modes available, Raw Recovery, Formatted Recovery and Deleted Recovery. Formatted and Deleted always get the full file names and directory structure; but, Raw does pretty much what you have already done there.

It is not a free program, though.

3. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I only formatted it in FAT32 because I wanted to transfer files with a friend who has a mac. I'll try out that program. Thanks!

4. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I went to my neighbors house since he has the program you mentioned and when I tried to use it, it didn't recognize my drive. Meaning... "My Computer" sees the drive but easy recovery doesn't. Any ideas?

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I recommend removing the drive from the enclosure and connecting it directly to his machine.

6. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

It is inside the desktop now but easy recovery still doesn't recognize it when trying to recover data. If I go into the mode in easy recovery that scans disk partitions then it finds the drive. But in either formatted or deleted recovery modes, no drive shows up.

EDIT: RAW recovery mode also finds the drive... the other two recovery modes don't.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There are partition recovery programs that may help. Some are free and some you have to buy. I've used one here called Active Partition Recovery; but, it isn't free. They do have an evaluation version. It will let you know what it finds; but, recovery isn't possble unless you pay. If you can recover the partition table, your data recovery will probably include the file names and the directory structure.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice