1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recovery to newly installed hard drive only to get bsod & stop message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tippet, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tippet

tippet Thread Starter

Just installed a new hard drive in my dell dimension 9200 had it running with xp all drivers downloaded. Backed up the old hard drive to a WD element which I then used Acronis to recover into the new hard drive...only upon reboot i get blue screen with stop error message
    0x0000007B (0xB84C3524,0x0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    any suggestions??

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What sort of Acronis backup was it? If it was a verified image, that should have worked.
    Did any BIOS settings get changed and was the new drive hooked up exactly as the old one was?

Stop 7B is a I/O controller error so that is telling you its not recognizing the controller with proper drivers and thereby not able to utilize the hard drive. This type of error is very common with XP when the controller type is SATA and XP does not have the drivers for that type of controller installed.

3. tippet

tippet Thread Starter

Morning fairnook
    I used acronis true image and made a full back up of the old drive prior to yanking it. The newly installed drive was working fine all drivers from dell installed and xp running as well.. the directions to recovering the back up were not all together clear to a newbie anyways... I woke up last evening wondering whether i should have created a partition and loaded the recovery into the new partition ...as the recovery laid one os over another ???

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm not sure what went wrong but to get it working (from afar) I would basicly redo it if the old drive is still there and unchanged.
    Hook it up like it was and if you can, and instead of backing up to the WD, hook the new drive up to another connection as well and use the clone function to clone the old drive to the new drive. Be sure to double and triple check (by drive size) that you are starting the clone in the correct direction (old drive to new drive).
    Then when the clone is finished, shut down the system and remove the old drive and put the new drive in its place connection-wise and boot up again. Later you can add the old drive back in again as a data drive or not but first time just have the new drive in there.

5. tippet

tippet Thread Starter

on the advice of my brother in law I hit f-8 at boot and am running windows repair ... for some reason having run chkdsk /r thought repair would be negligible ..will see what happens

6. tippet

tippet Thread Starter

go figure so... managed to get windows up and running acronis transferred all files from old hard drive...but.... one of the most important reasons I threw in the new hard drive was that I couldnt get the old drive to recognize new drivers from a nvidia video card I put in... when I originally got the new drive up and running albeit without the old files it read the new nvidia drivers now that the old files are installed it no longer does so. I redownloaded the new nvidia drivers did a custom install which deleted any previous versions and still no go??

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

A driver issue is associated with the OS so moving the OS to a new drive also moves the problem with it.
    What adapter does your system indicates is in use when you go to Display Properties/Settings/Advanced?

8. tippet

tippet Thread Starter

VgaSave
    Device Type: non-plug and play drivers
    Manufacturer: unknown

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You are positive you have the right drivers for the card?
    You are getting video (VgaSave) through the video card port(s)?

If true on both accounts, I'm not sure what technical glitch has you by the tail.
    If there was onboard video before you put the video card in, sometimes you need to enable the ESCD Configuration in the BIOS to reset itself upon boot. See this, but usually I don't have to do that if video is already coming from the video card so I'm not sure that would help but its worth a try.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice