1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recurrent disk errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silba, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Up to you. Your disk failed the test; that is really all there is.... The drive needs to be replaced with a quality hard disk.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

What makes you think its software? This is almost certainly a hardware failure. If you want to confirm that then download the DOS ISO version of the diagnostics, boot from that, and test it without Windows or any other software running.

3. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

Will have to buy a new disk.

4. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

I kept 4 HDD.
    Two are from laptops, and the two others are from computer.

I think I will go for a SSD. Using this SSD to run windows and softwares. And using the other disk as external disks.

But still I'm not sure the freezing problem comes from a disk error(even if there are disk errors). How coul I be sure ?

My computer is a low profile. I tried to buy a graphic card but I coulp not connect it to tge mother card because of the radiator. I put off the radiator but now the graphic card does not work. I don't know if it is burned but and doub't it is.

What should I know about SSD?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

What radiator? You mean a heat sink? If you removed the heat sink from the video card, processor, or chipset then you have likely destroyed that component, devices like video cards generate large amounts of heat and cannot operate without a heat sink, most will burn up in seconds without one. The heat sinks are absolutely required.

No one can tell you for sure if the hard drive is the source, or the only source, of your freezing but what I can tell you is that a faulty hard drive is a very common cause of freezing and yours is faulty, the diagnostics have confirmed that.

Not sure what you need to know about an SSD, they are massively faster, installation is the same as for a hard drive though.

6. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

I just bought a verbatim HDD but when I took out of its packaging it was written "toshiba" on it. Is it normal ?

Also I don't have windows. I was used to buy computer with windows already pre-installed. How can I install windows on the new HDD without bying it? I kept all my old HDD with an installed windows

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

I connected the HDD on the sata of the CD

The disk turn but I can see it listed on the despokt
    Any idea why?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have no idea what you are asking. If you installed a new hard drive, you must install an operating system. How exactly are you attempting to "See" the drive?

10. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

I can't install an operating system because I don't have the CD installation.

So I am trying to clone the HDD containing an already installed windows into the new empty Toshiba HDD.

In order to make a test a connected the HDD containing an installed windows on the CD and it worked fine.

But when I connect the new-empty toshiba HDD it is not detected.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the drive detected in the bios?
    What are you using to clone the drive ie acronis, clonezilla, what?

12. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

Yes the disk was detected in the bios.

It was also detected by the diskpart list disk(cmd under windows).

I went in the windows disk manager. The disk was present but flaged as a not allowed speace. I create a space on it and it appeared under windows.

Macrium just finnished cloning the disk, I am gonna try to boot on it and see what happen

13. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

It works.

Now I have to copy all the data from the damaged DISK.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are never going to "See" a disk in windows explorer until the drive is partitioned and formatted. That is normal.
    Just wondering why you did not go with a high end drive as I said ie WD black series? When you use lower end drives, you very often have problems.

15. Silba

Silba Thread Starter

This new HDD was the only one available in the store. I did not find a SSD.

And it did not look as a low standard to me. Toshiba isn't ****, is it? I've read it is a pretty good HDD on specialized websites.

The other one wasn't bad too, its actual problem was its age(10 years old).

My computer is old. I got it for 150€. That would have been stupid to buy an expensive HDD for this old computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187153