1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recurring 'blue screen' crashes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redoak, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Two days ago I had a 'blue screen' crash when I left clicked to perform a very routine function, which I do not recall. My Event Viewer log indicates 5 Errors within a six minute span. All list "atapi" as the 'source' and "9" as the 'Event.' After double clicking each of the listings, the same grey 'report' gives this additional info: "The device, \Device\Ide\Ide Port 1, did not respond within the timeout period."
    Note: MS could not provide any info when I went to their site.

This problem recurs periodically. Apparently a 'driver' is the culprit. Suggestions for fixing this annoyance will be appreciated. {redoak}

2. norton850

norton850

The "atapi" device would be the CDROM or DVD drive. So when you have the problem are you doing something with those devices?

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Thanks for the rapid response. I do not believe so, since I seldom use my CD-ROM drive. I vaguely recall that I was switching my browser from one 'bookmark' or groupe of BMs to another on the "Personal Toolbar". My browser is Mozilla 1.7.12 (not "Firefox"). The 'blue screen' came up so suddenly, as it always does, that I was distracted and lost my recall of what it was I just had done.
    {redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice