1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recurring BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TyrusAdelais, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TyrusAdelais

TyrusAdelais Thread Starter

I'll start off with that nifty tool suggested by the site.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16365 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114368 MB, Free - 20746 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; E: Total - 898018 MB, Free - 584993 MB; F: Total - 55845 MB, Free - 18381 MB; G: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 455438 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

So far, I only get this bluescreen when I play League of Legends. I've played Dragon Age: Inquisition, World of Warcraft and Shadows of Mordor - all at maximum settings - without any problem. Prior to bluescreens, I was receiving a League specific error of 183, which was failure to create minidump. I don't know why, but I do know that issue has stopped happening ever since I did a full uninstall and driversweeper of my former AMD drivers. I recently upgraded from a HD 7850 to an R9 290, and that's around when this issue started.

I've ran memtest, no errors. I don't remember the exact runs, but I left it on overnight.
    I've ran a Video Memory Stress Test and received no errors.

I can play League and it will happen just about every time. It's never happened multiple times in one gaming session. I've done a full reinstall of League as well.

I'm also receiving errors like these in Event Viewer:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
    and APPID
    {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Just recently, I received one of these:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
    Error Source: Machine Check Exception
    Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
    Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

It was the first one ever.

I seem to also only ever have one copy of a dump file (the most recent) for any of these errors.

I have not tried testing with my HD 7850 yet, but when I gamed with it I still had the error 183. I hoped my upcoming upgrade would solve that.

League appears to also be the ONLY game this occurs in, but it's also the one that I play the most, so I don't want to throw that out as a reliable bias (although I somewhat have).

Attached Files:

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

What is the exact make and model of your power supply?

Few things based on the dump;
    Heat/thermal problem.
    The other possibility is defective hardware, with a high likely hood being the CPU.

I would remove all power and reseat all cards, memory, cables.
    Dust/clean out your computer case
    Insure proper ventilation/flow (cable management).
    Check that all fans are running.
    After that, use gigabyte’s easytune to monitor temp’s. If need be resesat the heat-sink, cleaning off the old thermal paste and apply fresh paste.

3. TyrusAdelais

I use SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold. (SS-650KM Active PFC F3).

I removed all power, reseat all cards, etc. when I removed my cooler to apply fresh paste. I run a Coolermaster Evo 212 with MX-4 thermal paste. Speccy and Easy Tune 6 never showed my CPU at over 34C, and that was its highest during load time.

It appears that I don't actually get a BSOD, but an annoying, repeating audio sound that is approximately the last second to half second of whatever was playing the moment before the crash, then a reboot. I was using a misnomer in saying BSOD and was recently informed that there might be a difference in the types of crashes.

This is the only scenario where this crash happens. I've attached the most recent files to this post.

Attached Files:

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

5. TyrusAdelais

To my knowledge, this was a freshly installed OS. I have put in another HDD from my previous PC, but that's all it is. It did, however, have old data on it that I zipped beforehand.

I uninstalled avast! as per instructions. I have not done a clean boot, but only because I was curious as to what you want me to do after a clean boot. Do you want me to try and play a match?

Also, after doing all of this, I still received the same BSOD within the first 5 minutes, but I played the remainder of my game after a quick boot-up with no problem, which lasted about 35~ (minus the time I had to reboot, login and load up). Exact same audio loop. I haven't attached the files because I assumed it would be the exact same for you, but I still can.

Everything I have is also stock.

My PC idles at about 18C and the highest it ever goes is 36C during this game. My GPU hits 89C (it's a reference model, so it runs somewhat warm), but it never goes higher.

I also ran each RAM stick individually through memtest again for about 6 hours each, no errors.

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Can you open command prompt and copy/paste the below command. Notepad will open with the info, please post the results in your next reply.
    wmic bios get Caption, Manufacturer, SMBIOSBIOSVersion, Version > bios.txt & bios.txt

With the above I can't see your hardware setup, can you let me know your ram setup? (How many ram modules/size installed, which dimms are being used, are they all the same/mixed ,etc...)

7. TyrusAdelais

Caption Manufacturer SMBIOSBIOSVersion Version
    Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Award Software International, Inc. F2 GBT - 42302e31

---

I am using two sets of G.skill Ripjaw 8GB (F3-12800CL 10S-8GBXL). When both are installed, they're in the blue dimms which I believe are dimm 2 and 4. This set of RAM is the only one being used, and was memtested together and individually using dimm 2. I assume you meant the dimm slots. If you just meant the setup in general, it's 2x8 in slots 2 & 4.

If it is any help, I believe this newegg link is the exact model I have based on all other numbers I've read:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231488

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

That looks all good, have you tried with the old card to see if the problem happens?

9. TyrusAdelais

At your advice, that will be my next step. I tend to put my old parts into safe storage, so I cannot retrieve it tonight. This problem appears to be exclusive to this particular game as well.

You noted earlier that this could be defective hardware in terms of my CPU. Is there any effective way for me to test that? I don't have another compatible motherboard/setup with this particular socket.

10. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Not without another compatible motherboard or CPU.

Just a thought, but disable easytune before playing the game.

11. TyrusAdelais

So, as I was changing out my cards, I made a realization. The Graphics Overdrive in the AMD Control Catalyst reverted its settings to the ones used for my HD 7850 when I swapped between cards, even after a full driver sweeper. When I tested my HD 7850 out, it had no faults. So, I tried my R9 again, and that's when I noticed the GPU settings were staying the same. The fanspeed was set to a far too low-of-a-percent to work for my R9, and I had originally set it higher, but when I first had the issues with the Error 183 I did a clean driver reinstall to fix it. While that fixed my 183, it reset my GPU settings to what would have been for my HD 7850. My R9, when I set it aside, was running upwards of 93 C during midgames and during intense situations pushed 97C because the fan wasn't working effectively.

Now, I don't know if that could be the issue, so I'm tossing this out there to you. I've played two full games with no BSOD and my temps stay at 67-68C as I have it set now. I also receive no League-related errors. If this solution persists, could the poor fan settings from the Catalyst Control Center that led to the relatively high temps on my GPU been the cause of that error?

12. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Given that the 290’s max target temp is 95C would explain the problem.

13. TyrusAdelais

So, after having adjusted my GPU settings through Catalyst Control Center, I had thought the problem was solved. While installing another game, however, my PC crashed. I don't know if the audio stutter occurred with this crash as well; I was absent at the time.

I played several consecutive League matches with no error before this, and in my last game of League I received a two more crashes after the first non-League related one.

Attached Files:

14. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

So we have a bus error from dumps and northbridge error showing in events.
    Do you have anyway to test the card in a different computer?
    Inspect the board to insure no capacitors are blown, especially around the northbridge chip.
    Go into the bios and load the fail-safe defaults for testing. If no go, revert back to optimized defaults in the bios.

Attached Files:

15. TyrusAdelais

Do you mean my GPU? If so, I have tested it. I did a stress test on my GPU earlier and it performed fine... aside from getting shamefully loud. Never went above 71C throughout the test, and even then it only flickered past 70C. It just sounds like a jet engine.

Anyway, aside from that, I haven't jumped into system BIOS just yet. I wanted to present the only capacitor I found that seemed even slightly suspect to me. It's not broken, but it appears more elevated than the others. I'm not for sure if it's blown.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice